Riviera Storms

wakeup

Visit site
We were caught in it lastnight on the way to meet friends for dinner. Worst we've seen in 10+ years.

Very sadly 13 or more people lost their lives, mainly in tha Antibes area.

MapisM

Visit site
16 casualties+3 missing, according to the latest news... :(
I hope forumites around there (and their respective pride and joy) are all well...

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
It may not be connected but on Tuesday 29th it rained very hard for a large part of the day causing flooding in Rosas in NE Spain about 25k from French border. We had to run thro 4" of water on paths and roads that simply could not drain fast enough. Never seen anything like it before.

thaigh

Visit site
I know some one who has returned from Port Grim today. No real impact. Some rain but not like further up the coast.

jfm

Visit site
Truly amazing rainfall. I was in Antibes/biot. For about an hour, the rate of rainfall was extraordinary. I've never seen that before. We were trying to find a road back to the house and kept getting turned back by police or floodwater, around 11pm. Took 2 hours to do 3 miles eat, trying different routes and dodging falling rocks in the car. We were stuck for a while on the road right beneath that silver Peugeot 106 in the picture with the d4 road sign. All ok eventually though, but not so for those with houses in the valley area just east of Antibes, which filled to 2 metres over quite a big area when the river burst and that is where people very sadly died. The flood pool, for those who know it, was near Antibes-land in biot near the railway, and a bit north at the roundabout where square foot storage is. I expect there were some other areas too. The next day was like a disaster movie. Alongside every road cars were perched on top of each or on walls etc having just floated around

Onto mundane things, port vauban was fine. Obviously no flooding; boats were just subjected to an extraordinary amount of rain and a small bit of hail. So provided you have no deck/superstructure leaks the boats are fine. No particularly strong wind. Perhaps 25 knots of easterly. I wouldn't expect any boat damage along the whole coast

Gotta go. Plane pushing back

mcanderson

Visit site
JFM, he posted in the Liveaboards area. Is looking for an berth in VF for a season.

I emailed the guys who live aboard and are close to us. Both state no damage in the marina, one though I was emailing about the rugby!