Riveting conversation

Docktor

Visit site
Any suggestions on how to deal with these two problems following drilling the head off a pop rivet -

Firstly, the rivet body being left behind - in this case, in half of an aluminium port frame

IMG_6258.jpg

Secondly, "drill skid" off centre of the rivet body causing an eccentric hole - once again, in aluminium. What's the best solution when fixing this port fame back to the cabin? My Shetland 570 has 5 mm fibreglass cabin wall and I am going to use pop rivet again. I presume the only solution is to use a bigger rivet?

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

rob2

Visit site
The body stuck in the whole may come out just with a pull and a wriggle holding it in mole grips, otherwise just put the frame on a block of wood with a hole beneath the rivet and drift it out with a pin punch.

Don't know whether you need to go up a size in diameter, but the hole in the GRP and the aluminium frame are both likely to be a little enlarged. Another option is to stick with the original diameter but very slightly longer to accomodate using washers each end. The extra slop in the holes will make alignment easier too!

Rob.

Docktor

Visit site
Rob - thanks. The frame is actually curved box-section and the rivet doesn't go through the other side - rather the secondary head is in the box-section space - so punching it out is not possible- and that's the same reason why filling it with an epoxy putty probably won't work either. I am concerned that if i cut and file it off as suggested by Drew that it might mark the anoidised aluminium - although it couldn't look any worse than it does at the moment! All great suggestions - thank you - but it's a tricky little piece.

doug748

Visit site
Would it be possible to countersink the elongated hole and use stainless countersink headed bolts for the lot? You would have to take care in not crushing the section but it might work with care.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Any suggestions on how to deal with these two problems following drilling the head off a pop rivet -

Firstly, the rivet body being left behind - in this case, in half of an aluminium port frame

View attachment 53121

Secondly, "drill skid" off centre of the rivet body causing an eccentric hole - once again, in aluminium. What's the best solution when fixing this port fame back to the cabin? My Shetland 570 has 5 mm fibreglass cabin wall and I am going to use pop rivet again. I presume the only solution is to use a bigger rivet?

View attachment 53122

File off the stub and relocate the rivet somewhere else , say 20 mm away