River Trent ; Newark bridge levels

Tania Thomas

Visit site
Hey everyone. A bit of a curiosity post, I’m thinking of a live aboard on the Trent, somehwere along the Nottingham/Derby end, but what I’m liking is going to have clearance issues on the lower bridges especially at Newark.

im seeking advice on lowering /deconstructing the Bimini and radar arches to lose as much height as I practically can, but how can river levels on the Trent change and maybe offer me some additional clearance. Does anyone have such details available Or point me somewhere that does Online?

nortada

Visit site
Hi Tania, Welcome to the forum.

Many moons ago (circa 1980) I boated in that area and had a very useful inland waterways book which gave all of the information you require.

Bridge Heights | Newark Marina might prove useful.

As I recall at Newark the river is tidal below Cromwell Lock?

What is your draught and any idea what your reduced air draft will be?

Rather than in here in Liveaboard Link, you may find Reader to Readerer a more fruitful place for answers to your questions on bridge heights.

Best of luck with your quest.

Last edited:

Tania Thomas

Visit site
I’m aiming for the lowest of the Trent Bridges as per the link there, which is 12’3, and draft is 3’6 , i reckon I’d need to lose a good 2-3 feet ideally to get under an easy 12ft . If the river levels drop it. might help or whether more ballast would be easier.

ryanroberts

Visit site
Newark is a fair way up river, most of the surge had gone by Torksey when I did that in a narrowboat. There will also be seasonal variation? Ask CRT / ring the nearest lock.