River Lea

Nautorius

Visit site
Hi All,

Looking at a project boat (yes I am mad ) which is situated on the River Lea in a boatyard near Enfield. Does anyone know wether the River Lea (canal) is still navigable back to the Thames. The Boat concerned is 30' by 8' 7" and draws about 3 ft. The boat would be made sea worthy in the current yard then brought down to Thames and up to non tidal to find a suitable place for cosmetic work. Boat Should do 14 knots on Twins so not too many issues as long as engines serviced and reliable and boat checked for leaks etc first and tested on the Lea!

Just a thought as it would save £1.5k shipping and lifting and give me a chance to see what she can do.

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gumpy

Visit site
Yes is the answer if I can get my 60ftx12ft barge all the way to Hertford and back to the Thames you should have no problems.
However some of it is shallow so it will be tickover most of the time.

J

Nautorius

Visit site
Thanks for that,

Still formulating a plan of how to save an old boat that still can be rescued. Have a limited budget so every pound counts.

Thanks again for the info and link,

Cheers

trev

Visit site
We started our family boating on the Lea (Lee?), and -yes it is navigable to the Thames with caution over some shallow bits, but at three feet you should have no problem, unless some yobo has dumped a car or shopping trolley in your way !!
What boat is she ? I guess the wheelhouse comes down for the bridges.
Would you need a hand for the trip ? I'm now semi-retired and have a bit more time on my hands.

lanason

Visit site
I used to run a Factory in Enfield litterally on the edge of the Lea. Had a play a few times in the dingy up and down - did consider putting the boat in a morring alongside the factory rather than staying in a hotel. Was worried about the Yobs coming and a scuttling her !! Travel Inn seemed safer - but after 12 months plus I knew more about the menu than the staff !!!!

River seemed quite clean - lots of electric locks that need a special key if I remember correctly

TrueBlue

Visit site
I've only been on the Lee once (a couple of year's ago) an noticed there was a fair amount of rubbish especially "down the bottom end", so stick in the centre of the channel and go gently. Old Ford locks had so much rubbish that it completely filled the westernmost one of the pair.

Unless you want a challenge forget Bow Creek, just hang a right before Bow Locks and go through Limehouse.

Nautorius

Visit site
It is a British built custom yacht that was designed as a tender for the Sultan of Brunies boat in 1961. He took one, the company made another and took it to the boatshow. The Issue was because of the advanced design and construction it was £10,000 new in 1961 for a 30ft twin screw 25knot play boat. Bit weird layout as Owners or Skippers Rear quarters and a front cabin made for entertaining/day trips. Centre cockpit as well so no wheel house. Aluminium Hull, Aluminium Frame, Ply top and sides.

If I did get here she has laid unused for 10/12 years so will need a lot of TLC to get her sea worthy again (about 3 months of DIY and some professional time) Then she will travel to the non tidal thames.

All an idea at the moment as the owner who inherited the boat is 'dreaming of a price' and needs to get real.

Cheers

Nautorius

Visit site
Hi Trev,

If I pull it off it will be an amazing trip and I would appreciate any help offered, thanks! Also a great oportunity to explore another of londons waterways.

Cheers

Geoffs

Visit site
Should be OK, but you'll have to negotiate the notorious Bow Locks.

How many times have you heard, when something goes wrong, 'OH, BOW LOCKS!' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif