River launches.

whisper

Visit site
I'm soon to own a house that backs onto the Warwickshire Avon and would like to add a launch to my "fleet". It may also be trailered down to S.Devon if and when the Targa 25 gets sold in a few years time.

Can someone please point me in the direction of where I can find such diesel or steam powered launches for sale ?

Thanks.

whisper

Visit site
Thanks Byron, I'd never heard of the Classics site.
Are there any mags. catering for river boating and which would have adverts of boats for sale?

The Dutch seem to produce lots of super launches that ape tradition but are easily maintained - may be an excuse for another foreign boat buying trip /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

whisper

Visit site
No, not gone "chicken". Comment from me about selling Targa should be read as "if" from my point of view and "when" from Eva Braun's
It's just that having river frontage and landing stage would be a waste without a boat, wouldn't it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif . I can't get the Devon boat up to Stratford so a nice Dutch type launch, possibly electric, would seem an appropriate vessel for me to partake of my normal diet of smoked salmon and "bubbly".

SHE wants me to sell the Targa and get a canoe /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif . We're not really talking much at the mo.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Byron, I'd never heard of the Classics site.
Are there any mags. catering for river boating and which would have adverts of boats for sale?

The Dutch seem to produce lots of super launches that ape tradition but are easily maintained - may be an excuse for another foreign boat buying trip /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Val Wyatt sometimes has stuff....
http://www.valwyattmarine.co.uk/

also
http://www.selway-fisher.com/McClassic.htm

byron

RIP
Visit site
Nice collection there and not a site I was aware of. I see the Streatleigh is for sale but no price mentioned, always a bad sign of someone expecting too much. What did surprise me was the stupidly high price being asked for an Andrews 25 dayboat. Traditionally these have always been worth less than a 25' Andrews Slipper, maybe I'm out of touch with prices but it still isn't worth nearly £40k. In fact I would price it at less than ½ that.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Byron - Cor a bit posh ain't yer? "Streatleigh" , surely named after the tahn 'tother side if the river from Gorin'. Must be your spell checker.

Very sad to see her up for sale especially as she burn the proper fuel still (I think), though something in the back of my mind says she may have been converted to oil like the other remaining large steamer - Nuneham.

I've noticed her out less and less in the last two years and didn't see her at all at the Hampton Court flower festival.

Her crew were always very friendly and responded if one showed a bit of interest. She is the sort of boat that needs to be run by enthusiasts as I expect she is quite expensive to maintain. She seemed to have spent much of the summer moored at Hurley - sad.

With all her certificates falling in this year, I guess she has become uneconomic.

The lack of use is symptomatic of the quite steep decline in passenger traffic - at least upstream of Windsor - I've only been disturbed once this last season by trip boats late at night, whereas in previous seasons it was most weekends.

I sincerely hope that she stays on the Thames and is put to good use.

BTW happy new year to you; may all you encounters with long pointy tin things be pleasant.

Mike

byron

RIP
Visit site
Yes! I think she was re-converted back to steam when Salters sold her a few years back, I'm not sure though. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it run by the dude that used to Skipper the Alaska?
I've always fancied a Salter Steamer converted to private use but I would think the cost of both doing it and running it would be prohibitive.

TrueBlue

Visit site
You could be right and that would account for why they both ( S and A) can be seen around Hurley. Indeed Alaska spends most of the year under a very nice cover and only gets used for very special occasions. Being a relatively new person on the Thames (five years-ish) I don't know the finer details.

Both Streatley and Nuneham are steam powered, but I can't remember if both are diesel fuelled or not. It's difficult to get decent steam coal nowadays and if you can it's a pain to cart and store; much easier to pull up at the pump and paying passengers probably object to the smutts.