river gipping in suffolk (old canal of 1700s)

col_shaun

Visit site
hi all i was just wondring if any one knows of or is thinking or has proposed the isues of opening up the old canal gipping which runs from the end of the river orwell and runs as far as i know to stowmarket, is there a action group that deeling with this or is this yet another river never to be.
which would be a big shame.

TrueBlue

Visit site
The IWA or WRG (Inland Waterways Association; Waterways Recovery Group), are your best bet.

The former have a list of local societies.

col_shaun

Visit site
thanks, iv sent some emails to the W.R.G but never got a thing back from them.
we have a buty of a canal that was closed off some time in the 50/60s , there is new investment in the toun end of the river, but you cannot get doun by large boat, only dingys.
i will be doing the old rout soon for the chance of photgrafing the canal, i would post the pics here but only if there is intrest in the canal by the forum readers.
i would like to see the river opend up for navigation again but i cannot do it my self i need help or give serport to any group that is.
so all the names i can grt the better.thanks

tazzle

Visit site
Knowing the Gipping quite well, I'd say not a chance in Hell of it ever being used for navigation again. No trace of the 18th century canal remains, and since then the Gipping has been diverted, culverted and changed out of recognition - dual carriageways, railway tracks, industrial and housing estates have obliterated its course.

The intrepid guys at the Tuesday Night Club - who have navigated every bit of inland water in the UK including Deptford Creek (and who have crossed a lumpy Thames estuary in a narrowboat ... more than once!) took a look at the Gipping at Constantine Wier and, short of a crane, wrote the Gipping off their list.

Link here to the TNC's Ipswich pics - http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_03/Thamesest03.html

col_shaun

Visit site
well you say this but on my intenet travals i found a group of pople that asessd it and recond it could be dunn, only problem is there not about any more that im sure of, and as for the diverting you tulk of from end of orwell as far as claydon it follows most of the same course.
but my freind tels me one part has changed and its in bramford, a very small part.

http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=723...amp;FORM=CVRE10

this is the link be it a long one.

you were not the guys that got stuck on the wier at constantine with a canal barge!

ianc1200

Visit site
As a member of the Tuesday Night Club, we did indeed look at the Gipping Navigation. One of our prominent members, John Chapman, lives very close to the harbour in Ispwich and can remember various channels which have now been cut off. The time we had a look was when I had my cruiser Straight Across in the Haven Marina, and we followed the route up (by car).

The main point of interest was the two weirs about a half mile up from the harbour lock. This is where the narrowboat "Progress" got stuck on, an event which featured in the local media and the video "Wash and Go". The owner of Progress, Chris Coburn, said in the video that nobody knew the weirs were there, surprising because they are even shown on the OS maps!

IanC

col_shaun

Visit site
iv lived in this toun all of my life but when some of the changers happend i was only a kid. but i can say the the alderman canal is blocked and unless you blow the flats up you will never see ships and boats going that way, iv walk as far as claydon along the toe path and all of the lock walls are still there and in plase and are the 18/19 centry stuff.
as well.
i think iv got you interested so i will do the river as far as i can go and take picys of it for all to see.
there is one part that going to be dificult and that claydon to barham as the river is only 9 foot wide and over grown with trees and bush the last time i fished there.,

BSSOffice

www.boatsafetyscheme.org
[ QUOTE ]
hi all i was just wondring if any one knows of or is thinking or has proposed the isues of opening up the old canal gipping which runs from the end of the river orwell and runs as far as i know to stowmarket, is there a action group that deeling with this or is this yet another river never to be.
which would be a big shame.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try asking here, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canals-list/
Brian (ditchcrawler) or Martin Ludgate should be able to provide you with the answers, if no one else can.
Regards
Rob