River dropping?

byron

RIP
Visit site
The river here (1 mile above Cleve Lock) has been steady for 24 hours now, it never came close to spilling over, I guess about 6" from flood. I suppose it will be dropping soon. How is it in your area?

alistairedw

Visit site
Richmond Lock has all three gates up for normal maintained level. On Monday the central gate was down to allow floodwater to clear, so I guess that levels and flow are moderating.

More rain coming over the next few days though.

Gavi

Visit site
Still high but down a little. Talking with a neighbour in the pub last night and he was having a right rant about the EA as apparently the sluices at PH weir had not been opened (? not an expert on this). His lawn is low lying... so low it is under water, unnecessarily he feels. He was even grumpier as his smaller boat had sunk overnight...

sarabande

Visit site
New arrival to the area, and just settling in.

When working with Defra, it was possible to interrogate various websites to read the EA's telemetry figures.

Are there any public domain sites where the info for water flow, river height can be quantitatively assessed ?

Geoffs

Visit site
Still all over the fields above Oxford, the Maybush car park at Newbridge is under water. The Windrush, Evenlode and Thame also flooding surrounding land.

More rain on the way tonight.

And we still have a drought!!?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Captain Coochie

Visit site
It was about 20mm from the towpath at Sunbury , normally around 900mm . I had to put the boat back on the mooring . I helped a mate move his boat and he helped me , the dingy ride back .... I would have pointed the dingy into the flow and glided across but ohhh noooo not my mate ! It was like a sling shot when he turned the dingy with the flow /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Im sure our finger prints are inbedded into the foot path /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It was about 20mm from the towpath at Sunbury , normally around 900mm

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone translate this into English for me please

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was about 20mm from the towpath at Sunbury , normally around 900mm

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone translate this into English for me please

[/ QUOTE ]

It was just under an inch...........normally around 3 feet.......but dont worry, I dont suppose Jason actually measured it so there will be a certain amount of carpenters creep in the figures.....

TrueBlue

Visit site
In a reflective mood this morning -

You know looking at the monitoring points in the above post, it puts the horrendous task facing the EA into some perspective.
Lots of "rivers" that I was not really aware of. OK many of these are for most of the year not much more than a muddy ditch - and then a raging torrent when the heavens open.

We winge and complain when EA do a lot of work (winter closures) on a tiny part of the fluvial scheme and put up the fees for usage by what looks like more than advertised - I got mine this morning.

I suppose we should all be very glad that we are allowed to venture upon it at all....

I really don't envy that nice Mrs. McKeever's job at all; her boat may even be sunk in the floods.

Just some random thoughts.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Today at 3pm the river was running very very fast but the levels here were summer levels. Having said that there is still a great deal of water laying on the flood plains which has yet to seep back to the river.