River boats for sale - where?

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
As I am hopefully changing my residence, but could not get used to living back in London in a Flat......ugh!!!
The thought occured - why not buy another boat....gulp!!! - Bank manager just had another heart bypass looking at this.

But seriously why not? Where can I look at boats with engins suitable for a river/canal type mooring?
& as I have always been on a raggy boat, what would the panel recommend - say budget 20 to 30 k.

Or am I dreaming?

cheers /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
poter

sarabande

Visit site
£30k will buy a sort of floating flat, but mooring costs are quite high.

B1 is the expert.

I use my saily boat for this very purpose as an interim solution.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Anything on the Thames is expensive, but you could at least look at something like -

Boat showrooms of London At least they have boats for sale in other locations.

OR you could get a copy of Waterways World; usually in stock at W.H. Smiths.

That way you can view a selection of cruisers large and small as well as long thin tin boats.

ms1

Visit site
access to canal mooring might be dependent on width as 6ft 10in is the recognised dimension for canal work. This is regular narrow boat dimension and there are other smaller glass fibre craft at this measurement (eg Viking) .
As prev recommended suggest chat with Penton Hook, Bray etc sales. You should get quite a comforable river cruiser at your budget (Princess 32/Fairline Mirage/ Seamaster 30 etc).

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Thanks for all the info.

Where would I like to get too? not really decided yet but lets say near to a commuter station into central London.

We already have some flats that are rented in london, but I do not want to break the leases - thats my excuse to SWMBO for getting a boat in UK as well, but I probably won't get away with it....Man or Mouse?? squeek!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A boat seems an ideal option. What is the options of having say a 35' moody or similar sailboat somewhere, commutable even outside London?
Thoughts

poter

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Have a look at Boats and Outboards and Apollo Duck - loads of stuff on there. The real problem is finding a residential mooring though - rare as rocking horse poo.

PIGLETSDREAM

Visit site
Having lived on my 70ft Narrow boat at West Drayton, finding a mooring was the biggest problem. The advice from Waterways was to troll up and down the canal and ask everyone who had a garden backing onto the canal. I did indeed find my mooring like that and it was sanctioned by waterways as an end of garden mooring. Still had to pay waterways a large licence fee for mooring.

Virginia Curer is quite respected and generally has a good selection. Harefield used to be lower end stuff, but still a good mix