River Arun to Amberley

Tom Price

N/A
Visit site
Arundel is an interesting town but stopping is not on the agenda and we continue upstream, spurning self-drive motorboats from the Riverside Boatyard to push on in DIY mode. Looking back, with a sigh of relief after clearing under Arundel Old Bridge, the view is unique in combining past with present on the river.

ArundelCastle.jpg

This looks promising – the Black Rabbit pub. But weedy steps are hardly inviting, the crude scaffolding ‘moorings’ less so, and when rallying here I’ve just anchored and rowed ashore.

BlackRabbitPH.jpg

Here is the first of two footbridges enabling farmers to access land on the other side, a result of competing railway engineers cutting across what is the now neglected Burpham Loop.

Offhamfootbridge.jpg

And this is the second bridge. Looks new – does the Environmental Agency actually have money to spend? Then bump! Bump! Lifted up and over something solid just before the bridge. TG for a long keel!

Stokefootbridge.jpg

We’re now cutting through the chalk escarpment of the South Downs

SouthDowns.jpg

Thomas Hardy was right: “Far from the madding crowd” - and far from the madding Solent!
The flag is on a telescopic flagstaff adjusted to a few inches more than our air draft.

IWAontheArun.jpg

Here’s the next obstacle, Houghton Bridge, and a few anxious moments as the 3-knot current sweeps us underneath.

Houghtonbridge2.jpg

Next is the Riverside caravan park, seen from upstream . The proprietor is very welcoming, the landlord of the Bridge Inn too if you stop; we will have to on the way back but the berths aren’t robust enough and we always anchor midstream.

Riverside2.jpg

On we go through flat wetlands, miles from anywhere, then around the corner . . .

Piesexposed.jpg

Oops! Go back a few metres, drop the hook and wait for more water, enjoying a beer or two as the sun goes down.

SkyinthePie.jpg

Tom Price

N/A
Visit site
Swans

That one certainly was in a hurry to get back home. Up here is where they live in nests hidden in the reeds, and can be very aggressive if you get too near.

When the grapevine tells them that grockles and fishermen are throwing scraps into the water at Littlehampton they take off, flying above the river (avoiding bridges of course!) to go and get fed.

This interest in swans made me check on gourmet potential: apparently it's a greasy, unattractive dish and certainly not worth committing treason for.

Firefly625

Visit site
TP, brilliant informative post... these low bridges...3 knot current and the lack of water shows this river run is actually not for the faint-hearted!!!

I think if I did ever attempt I might just be shadowing you...

Looking forward to next post. :):)