I know that you all do sub-concious risk assessments before you go out like :-

Check weather
Is boat up to the trip
Is crew up for the trip
Do I have the charts I need
Have I got enough fuel
Wher can I fill up

e.t.c e.t.c.

Would anyone have the guts to try and put that in a reply so I can gain from your experiences, you never know others may also pick up some good points as well. I just want to create a tick off list to ensure I have covererd everything.

Thank you in anticipation.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Check water in header tank, sea cocks on, oil levels, fuel, nav equipment + VHF working, water in bilges etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

skiffsailor

Visit site
Although I don't own a yacht, I have had to do similar exercises for expeditions of other kinds, and find this really helps.

Geeky as it seems, it is worth listing all the terrible things that COULD happen (from fire, MOB etc, through illness, engine failure, storm, to run out of fuel/water/money!). It's a sobering list.
Next to each of those, make two columns - the first for what you can do to minimise the risk of it happening, and the second for what you need to do if it DOES happen. Even if the only answer you can come up with is "it's covered by my insurance" then at least you've thought about the consequences.

HTH

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Contact. HLB Group of Grumpy Companys.

Consultants to Happy Boaters.

All questions answered.

Fifty quid a go.

Sign Here....................................................

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

banus

Visit site
By the time you check your list,then check you list of lists (essential incase you missed a list the tide would have gone out. What I do is check the engine starts undo the bits of string I call ROPES put it in gear and head off out to sea. as I pass the petrol station I check my fuel guage. To be fair I also do a sniff test and run the blowers for a couple of mins saves making doggy noises wwwwoooooofff.
When the bilge gases explode

<hr width=100% size=1>

Divemaster1

Visit site
This list could be very long, so won't go on in much detail, but in no particular order :

- Fuel and Fuel filters
- Oil level & spare for top-up (should ideally be enough for one full change)
- Passage plan (at least mentally) & safe ancorages en route
- Check & stow ancor and other kit on deck
- Check & stow other on-board kit not needed
- Navigational kit and VHF functioning
- Keep relevant charts handy (plus pencil & notebook)
- Check first aid and emegency equipment (that is a list in itself)
- Biles & Pumps functioning
- Gas supply & bottles
- Before moving out, inspect engines when running
- When under load, visually inspect engines

as I have been accused of "going on a bit", I'll stop here an let someone else continue...

<hr width=100% size=1>Alf

Col

Visit site
I don't bother to check safety equip, as it's all kept on board, and is in date. How would you test a lifejacket / flare / etc: anyway, without activating it?
I have already checked weather before going to boat, and I can get on & off mooring at any state of tide, so I don't worry about checking that till I'm on the boat.
Once on board, I check engine oil level, coolant header tank level, quick visual of the belts for tension (when they start to slip, they destroy themselves quite quickly)
Have a quick look in the bilge to make sure nothing nasty in there.
Isolators on, VHF & Nav equip on. Bring lifejacket up into cockpit, if any new crew guests on board, I invite them to adjust L/J's to fit (up to them to decide whether to wear or not-Adults, that is) Ours have got our names in, so are ready to go. If any one new to the boat, I go through where everything is, and how to use it. This includes using the heads. Once engines started, quick check of all gauges, then we are clear to go. Takes but a few minutes.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

paulineb

Visit site
Showing guests how to use the heads is really important - especially explaining to ladies that only toilet tissue can be flushed down there, otherwise you could end up in the sh1t for a whole day fixing it.

<hr width=100% size=1>Pxx

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paulinebeddoes.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery>The Perils of Pauline</A>

Col

Visit site
Blocked heads!!!!!

That's why I cover it.
Only caught out once /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Twice if you count the cheapo bog roll that Vicky bought once. It was like kitchen roll, so didn't break up when wet. Luckily cleared it with hot water, so didn't have to dismantle.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Col. Do you also do a visual check of the vessel's external structure, lok at props for any signs of damage or debri. The life vests, you can check the cylinders for signs of corrosion, same for the flares, but as you say you know them and change them on a regular basis so they should be OK. I guess you just need to make sure nobody has nicked them /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Great idea about names on life jackets, I will do that straight away.

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Col

Visit site
Don't check external, as would notice problems when taking covers off.
I'm on the corner of an "L" shaped pontoon (so I can step straight onto swim platform) so any debris around props would be obvious (outdrives) as I step across gap. Life jackets are inspected annually / or after misshap? I carry 2 re-arming kits on board, as I had 2 L/j's go off during a rough passage.
When I re-armed them, I picked up a couple of spares.
The names are on the lapel?? so they can be easily identified.
They are always dried out before stowage, and are kept on the boat.
I carry 8 adult auto gas L/J's (4 have been fitted by me, with those chemical light sticks) and 2 toddler foam filled ones. I carry 2 Flare packs- 1 in date, and my last (date expired) set .

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Thanks Col, just that I am making a list here, I knew some people would have things they do automticaly, i'm just trying to draw that out from them for my list. How do you find the chemical light sticks ?

Thanks a lot,

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
show guests where the fire extinguishers are
it is easier than trying to explain whilst at helm.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.</font color=red>

BarryH

Visit site
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

How do you find the chemical light sticks ?

<hr></blockquote>

Ermm, they glow, open your eyes and they're there!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
VERY FUNNY BARRY, BUT clever clogs you would have to activate them BEFORE they would light up, got ya there /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Good one, I will write that one on the list,

Thanks

Col

Visit site
Got them from Army surplus, keep them tucked inside jackets, next to manual inflation tube, tied to tube with about 12" of thin lanyard to stop 'em floating away. Get the 12hr ones, to last all night.

Col

Visit site
Forgot to say on original list. Keep V sharp divers knife to hand (prop fouling) bring it up at the helm when X channel.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
I knew there were still things to get /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

thanks

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Check there's enough tobacco, cigarette papers and lighters aboard for the trip. Make a thermos of black coffee.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk