Rip off Haslar?

Bergman

Visit site
Re: A very simple answer

Supply and demand.

UK is 60 million people on an island the size of a Canadian farm

Lots of people make lots of demand for everything with limited supply

Best solution

We all come to Canada and put your prices up.

zefender

Visit site
Re: Free beer for wacky races

I'll happily buy a pint of beer for the first person to get to Walton on the naze from North London in an hour or less on a friday night or saturday morning and back again on Sunday in the same time.

Stingo

Visit site
Re: (Waiting list) Rip off Haslar?

I very much doubt that there is a genuine waiting list - perhaps for non-standard length boats.

When I bought my boat it was conditional that a reputable broker find me a suitable mooring. Not even ten minutes later the manager from Haslar was on the blower to me offering me exactly what I wanted. I have since come across numerous others that have been able to get their toys into the marina without delay.

Campers have claimed the same extensive waiting list, but haven't been full for years.

It's just good marketing tactics IMHO.

http://www.stingo.co.uk

G

Pity about Port Solent locks etc.

People I know spend more time wainting to get into the locks than actually sailing !! Especially if the Charter boats are on the move !!!!! Kim doesn't let me quote the name !!

Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by nigel_luther on 30/11/2002 15:36 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

A look around the corner ....

There ARE other marinas available ..... cheaper and with good facilities, but you have to visit and talk to them. OK so some you have longer trek to the open waters, but that in itself can be good .... scenery etc. etc.

Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

xcw

Visit site
Re: Pity about Port Solent locks etc.

It's the main reason I left Chichester Marina - a 2 hour wait to get out through the lock and a 1.5 hour wait to get back in, not helped by a cross wind in the channel and falling tide!!

JamesS

Visit site
I'm always supspicious of any marinas so called 'waiting list' epecially when locals will be aware of empty berths.

Incidently, just where do they wait? Can we all go there?

Cheers

Opinionated

Visit site
Re: (you\'re welcome to) Rip off Haslar?

That's right. You don't want to go anywhere near the East Coast. It is lonely, cos there are hardly any other boats around, there are not extensive RNLI support if you are the sort who needs it, and there is a premium on good navigational skills.

Far better go to the Solent, where you only have the Bramble Bank to avoid, which rather f'd up the Raymarine ads when On-y-va went aground. Oh, sorry, you also have to be careful to go BETWEEN the forts, rather than around, but at least you can SEE where the dangers are, rather than that orrible east coast where you have to navigate. And, saying that, they haven't got much to navigate with - none of those lovely chimneys, churches, radio aerials... that the Solent has in abundance - just a few derricks at Felixtowe, Clacton Pier remnants and some masts at Burnham and a block of flats near Sheerness.

No, stay away from the East Coast, m'lad, and leave it to them as likes it.

(I don't have to agree with YOUR opinions, but I'll defend your right to express them).