Rip me to shreds

Stingo

Visit site
If all things go to plan, at the end of May, I hope to launch a new web site called Desperate Sailors

It is a crew finder.
It is a boat finder.
And it is a services finder with the bias being towards cruising boats that can offer services to other cruising boats cheaper than the local agent can eg US$90 per hour at the Yanmar agent vs US$30 per hour with Mr Diesel-Mechanic-on-SV-Never-Again-II or perhaps MrsD-M-O-SV-N-A-II does canvas work. You get the idea.

At this juncture, it is a free site and will be for at least the two years that I expect it to take to build up a decent membership.

Constructive criticism gratefully received.

Last edited:

V1701

Visit site
If you keep the pricing at the level on the page at the moment, it compares very favourably with, e.g. Findacrew, which I have used before to good effect. With the added value of the services feature you could be on to a winner, good luck with it...

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Constructive criticism gratefully received.

Brilliant idea, good design, all round cunning plan. Whether at the end of the two years you can monetise it I dunno, but very good luck with it.

If there is anything I can do to help publicise it let me know. I'll give you a free ad on BM for starters.

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
One criticism . . . in my eagerness to get the super free offer on membership I have been trying to fill in my profile 'to at least 80%' but have found it impossible to get past 76% - and that was difficult. The profile information seems to get filled in via several different pages, which is a bit confusing.

- W

Stingo

Visit site
If there is anything I can do to help publicise it let me know. I'll give you a free ad on BM for starters.

- W
Very gratefully accepted.

Logo here:
logo.png

Stingo

Visit site
One criticism . . . in my eagerness to get the super free offer on membership I have been trying to fill in my profile 'to at least 80%' but have found it impossible to get past 76% - and that was difficult. The profile information seems to get filled in via several different pages, which is a bit confusing.

- W
You've been extended to the end of 2016 already. One of the mods on the to do list is a help prompt for each and every field. A small popup will appear as you click near a field.

Early days still and baby steps.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I wish you luck but in my experience the cruising community helps each other at no cost on the basis of what goes around comes around. E.g I helped others with computer problems, others helped with engine problems, electronics problems etc. Some of the cruising nets have technical nets offering both advice and practical help.

agurney

agurney.com
You could save some space on your web site by removing unnecessary punctuation - such as superfluous question marks and apostrophes (e.g. Service's and Services' )

uig

Visit site
Ok - some feedback from me

I regularly use sites to look for boats that want crew (both paid and unpaid positions). It's not immediately obvious from your homepage where to click in order to see any such adverts.

I can see that I can click to create a profile for myself, but without having an idea of the volume & recency of your "wanted" ads, I probably wouldn't bother to create a profile first. Lots of crew websites are full of ancient posts and so not worth bothering with - it's not obvious that your site isn't one of these.

You have a lot of photos of members on your homepage - what with both the Active Boaters and New Members sections. To my mind, these are pretty, but really of no interest - I'm unlikely to know any of these people so why do I want to see a picture of them? I'd be more interested to know how many members you have & how active they are.

I thought I'd investigate further though, so clicked on Search and then Search for Boat/Owner which brought me up a list of people along with their photo. However, this doesn't tell me anything about who they are looking for, where they are, type of boat etc etc. I then need to click on each individual's profile to find out this info, and then sub-pages within their profile to see further details. This feels clunky & slow - I would much prefer to see some details on this initial results page first.

Also, I clicked on your Advanced Search. Your options under "Search for" aren't clear - I am crew seeking a boat, but when I select "Search for" Boat / Owner, the options presented seem to imply that I am the Boat /Owner myself.... ?

Anyway, sorry this has turned into a really long message! I hope some of it is useful for you - feel free to get in touch if you'd like more feedback (although I appreciate you may feel this is enough!)

And, seriously, good luck with the venture.