Rigging

northener

Visit site
I have ended up with not a lot of travel left in rigging screws.
In a quayside discussion someone recalled being advised that a turn or two either way on the whole shroud would lengthen or shorten it as it is turned with or against the lay.
This seems really sensible - but maybe a bit too good to be true - ??
Does anyone have any comments / experiences on this.
Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mirabriani

Visit site
I have no doubt that this is true.
However, commonsense dictates that if this method is used there might be a tendancy to overdo it, (just one more turn!)
A much safer method would be to dismantle the rigging screws and grind a little off the ends (remove the burr) and reassemble.
Having said that, it might be good practice to just nip up the shroud a little to tighten (wind up) the wire, before tightening the locknuts.
All in my opinion. Others might disagree.
Regards Briani

<hr width=100% size=1>

bruce

Visit site
also, if this is new rigging, it is going to stretch till it is set/tight, twisting will change the angle that the wires lay together and could alter strength. think your rigger did not do the job correctly and should take care of the problem for you. they are too long. good luck...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aja

Visit site
I would have thought (if I understand things correctly) would be either to replace or shorten the shrouds as either they have stratched or were too long in the first place.

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

WayneS

Visit site
I could be wrong, but don't the different layers of wires twist in opposite directions.

If so, a twist in 1 direction would tighten 1 layer and loosen another.

I am happy to be proven wrong....

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
Twisting the rigging wire sounds horrible to me and I suspect it would return to it's original prefered lay anyway. Consider shortening the forestay to increase shroud tension or consider packing under the mast it should be easy to get another centimetre regards will

<hr width=100% size=1>

joeh

Visit site
i have a mate who shorten his cap shrouds to accomodate a new deck fitting. his mast folded in 12 knots of breeze. i look at the wreakage n think its insufficient thread in the turnbuckle.

<hr width=100% size=1>