Rigging check in Plymouth area?

bluedragon

Visit site
Just wondered who in the Plymouth area would go aloft and check our rigging for wear & tear and general security? I know it's busy-season but I'm disappointed that one big-name local company (no names as yet!) seem particularly disinterested in contacting me to make an appointment despite various reminders. Any advice appreciated as to others I could try. Thanks.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If you are in PYH then Hemisphere would be a good choice they were very helpfull and efficient when I was there.

+1

Coaster

Visit site
Two years ago we bought our present boat and took it away from QAB by road. Allspars took the mast down and replaced the steaming and masthead light fittings. They did a poor job, bodging up electrical cables so that corrosion set in within 12 months. I wouldn't use that company again.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Two years ago we bought our present boat and took it away from QAB by road. Allspars took the mast down and replaced the steaming and masthead light fittings. They did a poor job, bodging up electrical cables so that corrosion set in within 12 months. I wouldn't use that company again.
I am sorry to hear that, Andy at Allspars is a good bloke whose company has expanded rapidly. I suspect that he would be very interested to hear of problems caused by one of his fitters. I have had nothing but good service from them - albeit at a price sometimes.

No connection except as a customer.

Coaster

Visit site
I am sorry to hear that, Andy at Allspars is a good bloke whose company has expanded rapidly. I suspect that he would be very interested to hear of problems...

Thanks for your response. By the time we found the problems, many miles away and months later, it seemed inappropriate to inform the company of the matter.

I have since replaced the steaming light and temporarily repaired the masthead light, hoping that it will last another year or two.

Allspars

Visit site
Dear Sir,

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the way we have connected a light however would also like to add that we only use Tinned cable for all of our electrics and therefore am confused at how you have got corrosion issues, and if we simply replaced a light I would like to know the detail of why our fitting has caused it to corrode.

Also it is very difficult for us to resolve any issues if we are not made aware of them, we have very high standards and am not sure of the whole story with this work but would be more than happy to look into this if you would like to contact us with details.

Regards

David.

Allspars

Visit site
Dear Sir,

If it is allspars that you are refering to I am sorry that we have come across as disinterested as this is not the case what so ever, as you have said it is that time of year where there are not enough hours in the day and we do work as many as phisically possible.

If you would still like us to meet you on your boat and do the inspection please contact me directly and I will personally meet you on your boat.

Kind regards

David.

david@allspars.co.uk

Coaster

Visit site
I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the way we have connected a light however would also like to add that we only use Tinned cable for all of our electrics and therefore am confused at how you have got corrosion issues, and if we simply replaced a light I would like to know the detail of why our fitting has caused it to corrode.

Also it is very difficult for us to resolve any issues if we are not made aware of them, we have very high standards and am not sure of the whole story with this work but would be more than happy to look into this if you would like to contact us with details.

Thank you for responding to my comments.

In June 2009 my wife and I bought a 34' boat which had been based in Plymouth. We brought it to QAB to have the mast taken down prior to loading onto a lorry for transport by road to Pembrokeshire. We had previously owned sailing dinghies and motor boats, and had reasonable chartering experience, but this was to be our first cruising sailing boat.

On 15 June two Allspars fitters took the mast down, using the quayside crane. The mast was taken on wheeled trestles to the Allspars premises. Given our lack of experience I asked for advice on the mast and was told that the steaming and masthead lights required replacement. After brief discussion about the options available it was agreed that new lights should be fitted.

The boat and mast were transported to Pembrokeshire and remained out of the water for 3 months, whilst we had a new engine installed and made numerous other improvements. The mast was restepped and the boat launched in September 2009. Although we used the boat a few times then, it did not come into active use until about April 2010.

To start with the boat was used during daylight only, so we had no need of navigation lights for a while. When we did it became apparent that there were problems with the mast lights. Climbing the mast allowed me to discover that the side of the masthead fitting plastic base plate had been drilled through. The old mast cable was too short to fit properly into the base. The drilled hole had allowed water to enter the light fitting, apparently causing shorting. As a result switching on the anchor light caused the tricolour to illuminate.

The steaming light also failed to work properly. I eventually took it down and found that water had entered, causing corrosion. I have now fitted a new and hopefully better unit.

Both of the mast lighting cables were of plain, untinned copper wire, perhaps original. I have now fitted a tinned wire cable for the steaming light. Fitting a new cable for the masthead light is going to be more difficult with the mast up.

If I had been advised that the cables should have been replaced when the mast was taken down at QAB a good deal of difficulty and aggravation would have been avoided.

We have marked it down to experience.

TiggerToo

Visit site
Thank you for responding to my comments.

We have marked it down to experience.

guys: great thread: Sh*t happens and it looks as though AS may have got it wrong this time.

But in my experience (as customer) they have been A* and I am happy to recommend them...