RG6 connector???

stephen_h

Visit site
Hi,

I have had to move my stand alone AIS aerial and re-route the coax cable.

In order to achieve this I had to cut of the fitting that goes to the aerial.
Pictures below - black outer cover removed while trying to remove the plug but it seams to be glued in?

I believe the cable is RG/Series 6 coaxial - 6mm diameter.

This plug just gets pushed into the underside of the aerial and then has a seperate plastic cover that screws on the holds it in place.

Any idea what the plug is and where I can get some?

Thanks, SteveIMG_20240919_120650_edit_567954706328437.jpgIMG_20240919_120754_edit_567938497865419.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240919_120638_edit_567973327891976.jpg
    IMG_20240919_120638_edit_567973327891976.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 6

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
That looks to be crimped on and by someone without the proper tool using pliers and a vice.

I would not have cut it short like that, I would have left more of a tail and used an in line BNC plug and socket.

Heaven knows where you will find a replacement non standard connector like that. Post a picture of the receptacle.

Try an F connector in line socket to socket or sometimes known as a couple, that might not be far off and could be the basis for modifying it to fit?

1726746257406.png

If the centre pin of that is the right size but the body is wrong you could turn one end down on a lathe to fit then a standard F plug would go in the other end.

Just s suggestion might be totally wrong but I can't think of any other female connector of similar size

stephen_h

Visit site
That looks to be crimped on and by someone without the proper tool using pliers and a vice.

I would not have cut it short like that, I would have left more of a tail and used an in line BNC plug and socket.

Heaven knows where you will find a replacement non standard connector like that. Post a picture of the receptacle.

Try an F connector in line socket to socket or sometimes known as a couple, that might not be far off and could be the basis for modifying it to fit?

View attachment 183157

If the centre pin of that is the right size but the body is wrong you could turn one end down on a lathe to git then a standard F plug would go in the other end.

Just s suggestion might be totally wrong but I can't think of any other female connector of similar size
The damage was done by me trying to remove the cable :(

wonkywinch

Visit site
I strongly recommend you don't use an F connector. After buying our boat, the AIS transceiver received traffic within a mile or two but was not visible to any boats close to us nor the ground stations that feed Vesselfinder etc.

All connections were sound but I found an F connector with joiner as per your post in the ceiling at the base of the mast. I swapped it for a PL259 and the difference was astounding. Receive AIS traffic 20 miles away and the transmit function worked perfectly. The VSWR of the F connector must have screwed things up at the VHF frequency used by AIS.

ProDave

Visit site
I strongly recommend you don't use an F connector. After buying our boat, the AIS transceiver received traffic within a mile or two but was not visible to any boats close to us nor the ground stations that feed Vesselfinder etc.
I was trying to suggest a possible connector or one that could be adapted for what I thought was an unknown unobtainable proper connector. the link subsequently posted may be the correct thing.

The F connector being 75 ohm instead of 50 is not perfect but no worse than a PL259 and that on it's own would not result in massively poor performance, you must have had a poorly made or corroded connection.

wonkywinch

Visit site
you must have had a poorly made or corroded connection.
Nope, it was clean, dry and freshly made up when I reconnected everything after mast step.

Friends who are electronics comms experts suggested changing the connector and to my surprise it had such a drastic effect. Nothing else altered so only speaking from first hand experience.

I am also a radio amateur and should have known this but my exam pass was more than 50 years ago.

ProDave

Visit site
I am also a radio amateur and should have known this but my exam pass was more than 50 years ago.
In which case you will surely know a PL259 is not a defined impedance connector and regarded as pretty rubbish for VHF. For just joining 2 small cables I would have used a BNC plug and socket available in 50 ohm and 75 ohm (different pin sizes) and for larger cables, N type.

st599

Visit site
In which case you will surely know a PL259 is not a defined impedance connector and regarded as pretty rubbish for VHF. For just joining 2 small cables I would have used a BNC plug and socket available in 50 ohm and 75 ohm (different pin sizes) and for larger cables, N type.
Sometimes you're lucky and a PL-259 is almost 50 ohms, but a 75 ohm connector would be better as you suggested. With a 50 to 75 mismatch you'll be losing a small but not insignificant amount of power being reflected (my brain is saying 5%)

wonkywinch

Visit site
I thought I'd use 259s as this is what B&G chose on the AIS and splitter I was wiring up. Plus I had some to hand and no N types nor BNCs.