Rescued a yachty yesterday

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Off we went last night in our little 4.5 m rib for an evening meander in Torbay as the easterlies are generally stopping us getting out during the day. There were about 2 other boats out. Came across a 24 ft sail boat about 500 m from the mouth of Brixham Marina he was trying to start his outboard. I thought he looked in trouble but as I headed towards him the engine started and off he went. We then had about 4o mins messing about in the bay avoiding lobster pots and then headed back. There was the sail boat bobbing about dead in the water. He waved at me so over we went. His engine had failed and he needed a tow in to a buoy. He was as cool as a cucumber.

After getting him to the buoy we hat a chat an he had only had the boat 2 months. He had bought it off eBay for £2,000 and left Eastbourne and got caught off Portland bill in very heavy seas. He was ducking into Brixham on his way to North Devon !. He was solo and at no point did he show any worry and was totally relaxed it seemed. His boat was a huge bargain and what a trip he was doing……….. Not sure if he was foolish of courageous or both.

good job we were there to tow him in

WoodyP

Visit site
As a point of interest, do you carry a small get me home outboard.? I did consider putting a mounting on my transom so the dinghy outboard could do stand in for the diesel inboard.

oldgit

Visit site
Out on Monday in a somewhat brisk Easterly, spotted an inflatable kayak with two adults and a couple of kids making very little way against the wind.
Felt uncomfortable with the situation and went across to ask if they needed assistance.
They called back that they were not concerned about the conditions and did not require help.
Despite this, did call it in to the local VTS.
Have in the past been given assistance by a passing yacht and suspect very few folks would not offer to help anyone in trouble.

Seastoke

Visit site
Off we went last night in our little 4.5 m rib for an evening meander in Torbay as the easterlies are generally stopping us getting out during the day. There were about 2 other boats out. Came across a 24 ft sail boat about 500 m from the mouth of Brixham Marina he was trying to start his outboard. I thought he looked in trouble but as I headed towards him the engine started and off he went. We then had about 4o mins messing about in the bay avoiding lobster pots and then headed back. There was the sail boat bobbing about dead in the water. He waved at me so over we went. His engine had failed and he needed a tow in to a buoy. He was as cool as a cucumber.

After getting him to the buoy we hat a chat an he had only had the boat 2 months. He had bought it off eBay for £2,000 and left Eastbourne and got caught off Portland bill in very heavy seas. He was ducking into Brixham on his way to North Devon !. He was solo and at no point did he show any worry and was totally relaxed it seemed. His boat was a huge bargain and what a trip he was doing……….. Not sure if he was foolish of courageous or both.

good job we were there to tow him in
Why did he not sail

Bigplumbs

Visit site
As a point of interest, do you carry a small get me home outboard.? I did consider putting a mounting on my transom so the dinghy outboard could do stand in for the diesel inboard.
No never have they just get in the way and the reason I like old 2 strokes is they seldom let you down……The have never been told about limp mode

superheat6k

Visit site
I would suggest the word fool very apt, indeed from his voyage thus far 'lucky fool'. And he stil has to weather the Cornish coast and up the Bristol channel, where on the north Devon coast he might also get know what Atlantic swell looks like.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I would suggest the word fool very apt, indeed from his voyage thus far 'lucky fool'. And he stil has to weather the Cornish coast and up the Bristol channel, where on the north Devon coast he might also get know what Atlantic swell looks like.
I thought the same but in another way I admired him. I wish I worried less and was more adventurous

paradave

Visit site
You have no idea what training and/or experience he has and yet you’re saying he’s a fool based on breaking down?