replacing Lewmar D1's with Spinlock clutches

simonfraser

Visit site
replacing Lewmar D1\'s with Spinlock clutches

i have 6 yr old D1's that don't hold 8mm dyneema well enough, too much slippage.

Spinlock have a better write up.

should i change ? has anyone done this ?

many thanks for your input.

charles_reed

Visit site
Re: replacing Lewmar D1\'s with Spinlock clutches

I've gone the other way. However one point, the Lewmars have a very limited and definite rope-size range. 8mm is at the bottom-end (from memory) of their smallest one.

Would definitely rate the Lewmar superior for high tension halyards

simonfraser

Visit site

Hi Charles,
what type of rope do you have for the lewmars ?
8mm dyneema slips in mine. 25m big roached mainsail, 8:1 tack downhaul, can't hold it.
S

charles_reed

Visit site

Dyneema, 10mm on genoa, 12mm on main.

Both never slip. Main is about 40m2, 150% genoa about 26.

Two different models and the 10mm is a bu**er to thread, have to use electricians' casing. It's supposed to take down to 8mm, but I'd have my doubts, re-inforced by your experiences.

Spinlocks are on mainsail horse 2:1 and very hit and miss, but mechanical advantage probably inadequate. Good simple jammers but chew the rope. Have also used on genniker A-frame downhaul and release to flakey, so changed for ordinary Clamcleat.

simonfraser

Visit site

tnx,
from your reply, i recon i have a large size D1 into which i am feeding 8mm.
not on the boat at present, no markings on the pics i have from the clutches.
but they easily take 10mm for sure.
so, you suggest i should get small D1's for 8mm dyneema ? - i won't sue !!
i don't think much of your chewing spinlock experience :-(

S

matt1

Visit site

Short answer, yes you should change. You will have to change as Lewmar clutches are crap. They are the most useless piece of equipment fitted to my boat. Unfortunately I have six on each side and am slowly replacing them. First lot failed in the second season and now the next lot have failed after three seasons use. Baisically the springs that close them give up the ghost. They aren't serviceable so you cant change the springs. I know of others who had the same problems with theirs.

Unfortunately you will probably find that the Spinlock hole positions don't match up with the Lewmar holes, which means you have to fill the holes in the deck .....argggh.

simonfraser

Visit site

Hi Matt,
holes lewmar/spinlock are in the same place, so that's no prob :)
what are you going to change to ?
S

charles_reed

Visit site

The older one is marked on top of the release handle 10-12mm, it's about 15 years old and it's 152mm long. It has 5 domino rings.

The newer one is marked, just over the exit 6mm 1/4" 8mm 5/16 and is 125mm long, with 4 domino rings.

The newer one is as per the current D type clutch.

Here's the Lewmar spiel about handling sizes:-

The holding load of each clutch is listed for the two main line sizes the clutch was designed to hold, the maximum and minimum listed are dependent on the line type used.

Rope clutches can handle one line size below the nominal range but at a reduced holding load, this can be useful for more lightly loaded applications such as control lines and down hauls.

In virtually all cases the larger the line the better the holding capacity, so where the ultimate load is required the larger of the designated line should be used.

These graphs show the range of holding loads that can be achieved, a good quality hard cored line will hold better than a softer line, in some cases this may be higher than the rated Safe Working Load of the clutch but in all cases the line will slip before the Breaking Load is reached.

charles_reed

Visit site

How anyone can break the springs in the D type clutch defeats me, unless the batch was faulty, whatever the cause I'd get in touch with Lewmar.

My older one has been in use for 15 years (probably more action in a month than yours see in a year because I liveaboard and do about 3500nm a year) and apart from the axle pin mounting on one side being broken (by standing on when open) continues to function superbly.

The newer one only takes an 860ft2 spinnaker and does about 10% of the work of the big one.

Whether they're crap or just misused is open to conjecture as the reviews have been consistently good.

PetiteFleur

Visit site

Matt1 - the Lewmar clutches ARE serviceable - I sent a triple back that I bought secondhand and they serviced it for £25 if my memory is correct(sent via Fox's in Ipswich) excellent service - I received it back within 3 days. The Lewmar clutches have always come out best in tests - I chose them because they grip over a longer length over the very short area of the Spinlock. Saying that, I have a Spinlock for the genoa reefing line and the main Halliard(haven't got round to fitting the triples for cockpit reefing etc.....) As said maybe the clutch is the wrong size for your dyneema line.

lw395

Visit site

Is it possible to sleeve the rope using the outer braid of say 12 or 14mm braidline? The clutches usually only work on a short length of the rope.

simonfraser

Visit site

IW, indeed, got the T shirt. doesn't work well enough.

so, either smaller bore D1's or . . .

quaelgeist2

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
... as Lewmar clutches are crap. They are the most useless piece of equipment fitted to my boat. Unfortunately I have six on each side and am slowly replacing them. First lot failed in the second season and now the next lot have failed after three seasons use. Baisically the springs that close them give up the ghost. They aren't serviceable so you cant change the springs. I know of others who had the same problems with theirs...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes sailing seems like IT - when something doesn't work, it must be hard/software, never is a user issue ;-)

We have had 10years of reliable use out of the original Lewmar clutches under all sorts of conditions with first standard and now Dyneema.

It is very easy to service the Lewmar clutches, one can dismanlte them completely with very basic tools. Springs are standard, but also easily available. All other parts look like they will outlast the boat.

FYI I am not a Lewmar fan, I don't like their winches (technical design) and have replaced our genoa cars. But the clutches work so well that I will surely replace them with the successor model if they failed at any stage.

As I say one wonders at times...

Happy clutching !

NB The ultimate proof, naturally, others have had problems, too...
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Other threads that may be of interest