replace standing rigging

Yngmar

Visit site
Sloop, cutter or ketch? What size wires? Swaged or swageless fittings? Discontinuous shrouds? Go have a look at the boat, work out which fittings and sizes you need and how many, then you can look up the material cost yourself. Add cost for crane and stepping/unstepping the mast (even if you do the rest yourself, for that you'll need a rigger and his insurance).

For a 45 foot sloop, you'll have very roughly £1200-1500 for the fittings (swaged - cost goes up fast with wire size), plus the wire, plus crane fees (ask the boatyard) plus labour (depending on the rigger, 1-2 days of work at perhaps £50 an hour). It'll be a couple grand. As 30boat said, ask for a quote.

Minchsailor

Visit site
Don't forget the bottle screws - if they need replacing; the bronze/stainless steel ones are not cheap.

2-3 years ago it cost c £,500 for the standing rigging on a Rustler 36 (all 8mm), so £1,500 for a 45 footer looks a bit low.

Should be £1,500.

Last edited:

Yngmar

Visit site
Don't forget the bottle screws - if they need replacing; the bronze/stainless steel ones are not cheap.

2-3 years ago it cost c £,500 for the standing rigging on a Rustler 36 (all 8mm), so £1,500 for a 45 footer looks a bit low.

Uhm. Missed a zero? My guesstimate is for the fittings only. Feel free to read the whole sentence :) I've paid just over £1000 for my Sta-lok (again, fittings only) on a 40 footer, with 10mm shrouds, 8mm forestay and 7mm everything else on a discontinous rig (= more fittings, plus inner forestay). That includes new turnbuckles (yes the nice bronze threaded ones). Haven't got the bill for the wire or the labour yet (I did the swaging myself with oversight by the rigger).

Tim Good

Visit site
Any indication about how much it would cost to replace the standing rigging of a 45 footer?
Erik

Mine was about £4.5k on a 43ft cutter which included labour, crane and replacement of a couple of halyards and electrics whilst the mast was done. I think that is pretty typical. Maybe you can get it done cheaper but it was done by some top guys in Falmouth.

Norman_E

Visit site
I have just had a quote in Turkey equivalent to about £3,100 for my 45 footer for everything except the backstay (which is good) using Danish Blue Wave parts including new bronze rigging screws. This is for continuous rigging, mostly 10mm and is going to be done wire by wire with the boat in water, and without unstepping the mast, therefore no crane. Add in the cost of a crane and the backstay and most likely higher labour costs than I am paying and £4,500 sounds about right. I had not previously heard of Blue wave but I have been assured by my surveyor that their parts are good. Website here http://bluewave.dk/

homer

Visit site
Two years ago, made up rigging (wires, screws, the lot) cost me £1340 + VAT for my 38 footer, sloop rig. Uppers, intermediates, 4 lowers, forestay and split backstay. (Actually a cutter rig but that bit was more recent and not replaced.) We fitted it ourselves with the mast standing at no extra cost.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I have just had a quote in Turkey equivalent to about £3,100 for my 45 footer for everything except the backstay (which is good) using Danish Blue Wave parts including new bronze rigging screws. This is for continuous rigging, mostly 10mm and is going to be done wire by wire with the boat in water, and without unstepping the mast, therefore no crane. Add in the cost of a crane and the backstay and most likely higher labour costs than I am paying and £4,500 sounds about right. I had not previously heard of Blue wave but I have been assured by my surveyor that their parts are good. Website here http://bluewave.dk/

Blue Wave terminals rely on hard steel serrated jaws that grip the outside of the wire.I believe the breaking load is inferior to that of the wire as are,or were, Norseman terminals. They're very easy to install and require sealant because the jaws are not stainless. I have them on my backstay but I've made it one size oversize and on my rig,3/4 fractional, the backstay is mainly there to control the shape of the mast. That said I wouldn't go sailing without it...For your rig I'd use something like Staloks.

colind3782

Visit site
I was quoted €3900 including tax last year in Empuriabrava for my 33 footer so a lot depends on your location. It certainly seems to be cheaper in the UK. I'm having it done this winter so I'm just waiting for a current quote.

homer

Visit site
Two years ago, made up rigging (wires, screws, the lot) cost me £1340 + VAT for my 38 footer, sloop rig. Uppers, intermediates, 4 lowers, forestay and split backstay. (Actually a cutter rig but that bit was more recent and not replaced.) We fitted it ourselves with the mast standing at no extra cost.

I should have mentioned that I got 2 quotes from riggers in Marmaris and both quoted about £1200 MORE than Ocean Rigging in the UK from whence I had the rigging shipped out (to Greece, not Turkey to avoid the import duty).

Norman_E

Visit site
Blue Wave terminals rely on hard steel serrated jaws that grip the outside of the wire.I believe the breaking load is inferior to that of the wire as are,or were, Norseman terminals. They're very easy to install and require sealant because the jaws are not stainless. I have them on my backstay but I've made it one size oversize and on my rig,3/4 fractional, the backstay is mainly there to control the shape of the mast. That said I wouldn't go sailing without it...For your rig I'd use something like Staloks.

Blue Wave supply swage terminals which are what I intend using, not their swageless ones.

andyfreemantle

www.yachtrigger.co.uk
HI Erik
I am a rigger based in Cardiff although i may not be able to help you i have a tool on my webshop we use for calculating rigging estimates. Just measure the size of each stay and critically measure the pin size for each bottle screw as 45ft boats will vary and prices can change a lot between 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" rigging screws which are likely to be found. You can make a guess at the top terminal and put a rough measurement for the wire as it makes little difference overall. If you want to use it its yacht-rigging-store.co.uk/wirerigging
I am not putting it here for commercial reasons but my prices on there should be what you pay everywhere as they are based on standard UK RRP for Stalok swage terminals. With regard the comments made by someone else in the thread Blue wave are used in the UK and are good quality products so no worries there.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
With regard the comments made by someone else in the thread Blue wave are used in the UK and are good quality products so no worries there.
I think that was me. The quality of Blue wave was never in question. In fact I have a couple of their swageless terminals in my backstay.It's the breaking load that I thougt prudent to mention as it is not as high as with comparable Stalok terminals.
This was told to me by a professional rigger.

Norman_E

Visit site
HI Erik
I am a rigger based in Cardiff although i may not be able to help you i have a tool on my webshop we use for calculating rigging estimates. Just measure the size of each stay and critically measure the pin size for each bottle screw as 45ft boats will vary and prices can change a lot between 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" rigging screws which are likely to be found. You can make a guess at the top terminal and put a rough measurement for the wire as it makes little difference overall. If you want to use it its yacht-rigging-store.co.uk/wirerigging
I am not putting it here for commercial reasons but my prices on there should be what you pay everywhere as they are based on standard UK RRP for Stalok swage terminals. With regard the comments made by someone else in the thread Blue wave are used in the UK and are good quality products so no worries there.

Thank you for that. I thought that Blue Wave products looked good, but its nice to have it confirmed by a professional. I am waiting for the riggers to send me a list of the Blue Wave part numbers they intend to use, before I accept their quote.