Removing the backstay of a Comfortina 32?

TSailors

Visit site
Hi - when trying to lift up my comfortina 32, the lift operator is asking me to remove the backstay. Is that safe? Apparently otherwise it hits the top of the lift.
Is that safe to do? Shall I attach it somewhere else during the lifting, like somewhere closer to the mast?

srm

Visit site
Should not be a problem. When stepping masts with a crane I would set up the four lower shrouds, or aft lowers and babystay, then let the crane go as the mast was then safe. The rest of the rigging was then set up. The reverse when lifting a mast out, let go and secure all but the lowers before the crane arrived.
If dropping the back stay makes you feel twitchy set up the main halyard and topping lift to strong point far enough forward to clear the lift structure and winch tight. Its unlikely that you will be able to set up the backstay further forward due to its length. At our marina its usually the forestays that need letting go and has never been a problem.
Just slack off the bottle screw until you can remove the clevis pin, or undo the bottle screw completely. Make sure you hold the top of the bottle screw with a spanner so as not to twist and unlay the wire, and don't drop the middle or bottom of the bottlescrew over the side when it comes loose. Once chocked up ashore reattach the backstay. If in doubt about which way to turn the bottlescrew look at the pitch of the threads as it may be difficult to turn either way to start with.

Last edited:

B27

Visit site
Used to do this at a marina I worked at, BUT as belt and braces we always used a halyard as temp back stay secured some where around the cockpit area to a strong point.
I've seen some shapeless practice at a few marinas and yards.
If your backstay is not holding the rig up, because you have shrouds well aft of the mast, then you can disconnect it without a worry.
If the shrouds are in line with the mast, or quite close to, the backstay is important and should only be disconnected if there's other support, like at least the main halyard led aft and tensioned.