Removing Paint

wheneverIcan

Visit site
My motor boat has sign writing on the transom stating its old port of residence (the previous owner) . Problem is I need to remove this and replace it with the new details.

Any ideas for a non harmful paint remover - its a 1994 Nimbus 27.

Also do I have to go to a sign writer for the new wording or can I get "stick on" lettering which looks good and will stand the test of time?

Thanks
Simon

Canboria

Visit site
You can get paint remover specifically for fibreglass, I have used it many times to remove sponsors names, should be available from a good car spares or diy store B&Q or Homebase.

Stick on letters are better various styles are available with many different colours, try this site.

http://www.wild-graphics.co.uk/

Derek

tr7v8

Visit site
If it is paint and not stickers, I'd sand it off. Use a medium Wet & Dry, wet and a bar of soap to stop it clogging and a sanding block and sand away until it starts to disappear then go down to progressively finers grades ending with 1200 or 1500 and then use some T Cut then car polish. Done carefully it's quicker and easier than paint stripper and a lot more controllable.
Halfords do a brilliant hard foam block and velcro interchangable wet & dry papers.

Jim
-------

Strathglass

Visit site
After you have removed the lettering You will probably find that you can still read the original name. This is because the exposed gelcoat will have faded from UV exposure relative to the protected bit. So be prepared to buff the whole transom or make your new name larger than the original.
Iain

miket

Visit site
Why risk damaging the gelcoat with sandpaper when Nitromors (and possibly others) do a GRP specific paint stripper.

I have used this many times and had no problems.

tr7v8

Visit site
I've always found gentle application of W & D easier than paintstripper which unless you are carefull dribbles into places it's not needed. The whole point is to sand away the painted lettering not the gelcoat and with a sanding block that can be done. I've only used Glassfibre Nitromors once and found that whilst it was gentle on gelcoat it wouldn't touch some types of paint, although you may have had better luck than me! Note my experience of this is based mainly on cars not boats.

Jim
-------

Greg2

Visit site
All very helpful - I have exactly the same problem and was scratching my head about how to go about removing the old port name. Think I'll try the paint stripper -don't like the sound of wet & dry on the hull (don't trust myself). Thanks!

wheneverIcan

Visit site
The wet and wild web site is excellent. I ordered "lymington" in the" graphics yeaterday at about 3pm and got it in the post this morning!!! excellent graphics for just under £15.

Simon