Removing Green stain before renovating canvas

pcatterall

Visit site
This is for my car blue hood but I will be doing my cockpit roof soon as well.
The hood has some green staining. I have tried to remove it with a soapy solution and a medium soft brush then a good rinse.
Its better but there is still some staining.
Previous threads suggest bleach, vinegar and star bright. ( bleach sound pretty risky to me!)

Question.1..… do I have to remove every last trace of the green or will the blue 'renovo' hide it?
question 2..... what products/solutions have you used which have actually worked on difficult green staining?

Thanks!

pvb

Visit site
I've used Boracol very successfully. Patio Magic (or cheaper alternatives) would work too. You need something which contains benzalkonium chloride - this will kill the green algae. Bleach might damage the fabric.

VicS

Visit site
This is for my car blue hood but I will be doing my cockpit roof soon as well.
The hood has some green staining. I have tried to remove it with a soapy solution and a medium soft brush then a good rinse.
Its better but there is still some staining.
Previous threads suggest bleach, vinegar and star bright. ( bleach sound pretty risky to me!)

Question.1..… do I have to remove every last trace of the green or will the blue 'renovo' hide it?
question 2..... what products/solutions have you used which have actually worked on difficult green staining?

Thanks!

Any benzalkonium chloride based mold, mildew and algae killer. It will kill it quickly but it may take a day or two for green colour itself to fade,
eg
Polycell 3 in 1 or similar from your usual hardware shop,
or
PatioMagic (or Aldi's Dof Patio cleaner) diluted 10 fold.

See https://www.aldi.co.uk/doff-path,-patio-&-decking-cleaner-/p/069689272573901

Avoid chlorine bleach based products.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
I've used Boracol very successfully. Patio Magic (or cheaper alternatives) would work too. You need something which contains benzalkonium chloride - this will kill the green algae. Bleach might damage the fabric.

As above. It also works on the black mould. On my boat I use PM on the deck any day it's not going to rain and then just leave it without washing off. It can take a week or so before it looks pristine but the effect lasts for a good six months.