Reluctant to buy a third bukh temp sensor

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
After clocking my temp gauge yesterday at over a 100deg, panic set in. Down below checking the engine caused me to come down with the worst seasickness ever. It turned out the engine was not even hot to touch, and the sensor is now shorting to earth causing a false reading. They only seem to last about 18 months I've noticed.

afterpegassus

Visit site
After clocking my temp gauge yesterday at over a 100deg, panic set in. Down below checking the engine caused me to come down with the worst seasickness ever. It turned out the engine was not even hot to touch, and the sensor is now shorting to earth causing a false reading. They only seem to last about 18 months I've noticed.
Really?
I've had mine (dv20) since I got the boat about 15 years ago.

catweazle

Visit site
Very much the same experience as youreself.
I have replaced three sensors (from Furneaux Ridall, apparently the same as Bukh supplied ones) over the last four years on my raw water cooled DV20. From what I have picked up from reading into this issue, it may well be that the sensors degrad in salt water with pin hole leaks developing in the outer layer leading to short circuits and false readings. My present sensor will now only give a maximum temp reading - the engine is fine.
What to do next - buy yet another sensor at £28 or find another easy method to check engine temp?

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
VDO Water Temperature Sender Earth Return M14 with 80°C W/C its not the genuine Bukh part ive been using though.
Very much the same experience as youreself.
I have replaced three sensors (from Furneaux Ridall, apparently the same as Bukh supplied ones) over the last four years on my raw water cooled DV20. From what I have picked up from reading into this issue, it may well be that the sensors degrad in salt water with pin hole leaks developing in the outer layer leading to short circuits and false readings. My present sensor will now only give a maximum temp reading - the engine is fine.
What to do next - buy yet another sensor at £28 or find another easy method to check engine temp?

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I just checked 1st one was bought 2020, and the second one was bought November 2021. I think for now I will just put the original bukh alarm sender in its place.

catweazle

Visit site
VDO Water Temperature Sender Earth Return M14 with 80°C W/C its not the genuine Bukh part ive been using though.
yes thats the one I have used as a replacement. I am pretty sure its the exact same sensor as supplied by Bukh direct or via their distributors but at a considerably higher price!
Bukh Temperature Sender 552J0919 (check the price - £186! )
Unless I can find another equivalent cheaper sensor, or another way to check the engine temperature, then I guess I will be buying another Furneaux Riddall sensor