Registration for permanent outside uk?

FerrymanR

Visit site
It seems that SSR and part 1 both require domicile in uk. If one is to live aboard outside uk for 3 or more years This makes registration difficult. Could the answer be to register whilst still resident. This would then give five years before registration is due for renewal. Is this flawed?
In my case I am about to lose my permanent uk address and have set up a contact address (brother-in-law). The vessel was put on SSR whilst at my permanent address but of course the address will cease to be valid soon.
Should I have looked at part 1?
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I'm a little surprised that you've had no response so far, maybe this will start something off.
Who's going to check. As far as I'm concerned the SSR fulfils no other purpose than satisfying the 'Continentals' who insist on it. So use your contact address as yours and get on with enjoying the sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

FerrymanR

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I rather thought that might be the case. I trawled through other registration related messages at ybw and got the general impression that it doesn't matter if what you do is not quite 'kosher' so long as it works! There were, of course, those that seem to think you should tie yourself tightly to the letter of the registration document regardless.
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Domicile requirement for part 1.

I'm surprised that part 1 registration requires domicile in UK. This is not mentioned in the eligibility criteria on the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mcagency.org.uk/flag/home/index.htm>Registry of Shipping and Seamen</A>, though of course it is for SSR registration.

I'd been considering going that way to save the subterfuge, but as DavidJ says, unless IR and the MCA share databases who is to know. The SSR registration document has been acceptable to all customs and immigration agencies around the world where our yacht has been - provided it is in date.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Re: Domicile requirement for part 1.

I have been Part 1 registered for something like 8 years now, so have renewed once, about 2 years ago. We and the boat have been in Holland for 6-7 years and my Dutch address is the one quoted on the renewal. There was never any quibble from the registry people regarding the boat not being in UK.

<hr width=100% size=1>

CPN

Visit site
Last year I regeistered (Part 1) my boat in the UK, but am domiciled in Switzerland. If you are a British citizen, then you will have no problems with Part 1 registration - not sure about SSR though.
See

www.mcagency.org.uk/flag/needtoknow/eligibility

for the eligibility rules. You can also obtain all the forms from the MCagency web site. I found whole procedure painless, uncomplicated and very quick.

<hr width=100% size=1>