Registering a yacht in Greece

tchierici

Visit site
I have found a buyer for my boat which is currently in Greece and is registered under the British SSR. The buyer is Greek and as such he’ll need to register the boat in Greece. He’s a bit concerned about the process and cost involved in doing so. I told him that the boat can easily be de registered from SSR. Does anyone know how much trouble is to register a boat in Greece? He seems to to be struggling to find information about it.

TSailors

Visit site
Probably the process is similar to Turkey: Here you CANNOT register a boat with Turkish flag if it's second hand.
So, if people buy a boat abroad, they create a company in some other country, Delaware is a popular choice, and they register their boat to the company.

Tony Cross

Visit site
That the buyer is Greek and he doesn't understand the registration process rings alarm bells. I'd bet this is a precursor to asking for a price reduction because of the alleged hassle involved. Tell him to talk to his accountant and don't get involved.

tchierici

Visit site
That the buyer is Greek and he doesn't understand the registration process rings alarm bells. I'd bet this is a precursor to asking for a price reduction because of the alleged hassle involved. Tell him to talk to his accountant and don't get involved.

Yes, I am staying out of it, he says he's waiting for info from the Pireus Port Authority but they're taking their time to reply.

wwalsh

Visit site
In case the yacht does not have CE certificate due to age, in order to register with greek flag he will require a greek naval architect or classification society to produce a document that the yacht was built to a suitable standard. The Greek flag inspections are usually done by Lloyds Register, INSB or RINA. There are various yachting lawyers that can arrange the registration for example Kokkinakis Law Office

Last edited:

tchierici

Visit site
In case the yacht does not have CE certificate due to age, in order to register with greek flag he will require a greek naval architect or classification society to produce a document that the yacht was built to a suitable standard. The Greek flag inspections are usually done by Lloyds Register, INSB or RINA. There are various yachting lawyers that can arrange the registration for example Kokkinakis Law Office
Sounds a bit like the Italian system. Although in Italy you can register a yacht easily (no certification or standards) as “natante” if the boat is under 10m. I hope the Greek system is the same as my boat is 9.9m.

lask

Visit site
Do not believe . At the moment, those who have a Greek flag on their boat are trying to make a flag of Poland or the Netherlands to be saved from the unfair tax and there are people who make a Greek register

lask

Visit site
Sorry could you please explain your post?
From 2020 the boats that have a Greek register and have up to 20 GROSS REGISTERED TONNAGE pay 1000 euros every year. That is, me if I have a boat
25 feet and you a boat 40 feet we will both pay 1,000 euros every year + the TEPAI. For this reason and for many more I do not want to tire you most of us are trying to change the registry in another country.

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
I bought my boat in Greece a few years ago and registered it in Jersey. All EU citizens are entitled to register their boats on the Jersey register. It is a relatively straightforward process most of which can be done via e mail with a small number of documents needing to be posted or couriered. The staff in the registry are excellent and very helpful. You do need to get a tonnage survey done by an approved surveyor - there are a number in Greece and I got mine done by a very good British surveyor based in Lefkas.
https://cdn.ports.je/web/JR20-Notes-on-the-registration-of-ships.pdf

wwalsh

Visit site
Citizens of commonwealth countries are also entitled to register with Jersey including Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.
If vat is paid no problem to have non eu flag within eu.

Not only surveyors but also ABYA brokers can do tonnage measurements

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest