Registering a UK yacht from SSR to Greek Register.

ConorB

Visit site
Greeting fellow sailors. Perhaps you please could advise me. I am in the process of purchasing a UK yacht which has been based in Greece for many years. As I am an Irish resident who does not hold a UK address, I understand that I cannot continue to have it registered on the U.K SSR. Is the process of re-registering the yacht on to a Greek Register a major issue??? I cannot conveniently register her on the Irish Register as it requires me sailing it back to Ireland to have it weighed and inspected there. I have no interest in sailing to Ireland, as I plan to keep it on Greek waters as a long term liveaboard. Are there more straightforward options available??? I did hear about a Dutch Registration for €300... but in fact that does not give full Registration benefits, it merely records your name, address and name of vessel... which is of no use when challenged by Authorities to produce proof of Registration. I am hoping to close the purchase of this yacht within the next week, so any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Fair Winds & Following Seas,

Conor

wwalsh

Visit site
The SSR registration automatically expires on sale. If you will register with a flag that requires deletion certificate it is necessary for the sellers to make special request to SSR registry for deletion letter as this not normally provided. SSR registration is not a proof of ownership.
You can register to British Part I instead of Part III SSR which is a proof of ownership. You will need a tonnage certificate by one of the approved surveyors in greece.
You could also consider a future EU flag such as Polish or Slovenian flag. You can find companies that handle those registrations with an internet search.

I would recommend Greek register only for charter yacht.

[163233]

Visit site
I cannot conveniently register her on the Irish Register as it requires me sailing it back to Ireland to have it weighed and inspected there.
That's probably not the case, tonnage and measurement surveys are normally done by an authorised surveyor, and there will be one in Greece who can do it there.
Call up a surveyor who advertises T&M surveys and ask them for advice.