Refleks diesel heater problem

cormorant

Visit site
I have a Refleks diesel heater, it has never performed well on my boat, a friend has an identical heater and my "full" is more like his "half" or less. I have tested the fuel flow and I get 1 litre an hour arriving at the carburettor, which is the maximum the heater is supposed to burn on full. However, the float is not really afloat at all, indicating the fuel level is too low. Even if I remove the needle valve which cuts the fuel off, no difference. All filters clean. If I top the float chamber up manually though the heater roars away like it should on full. So I seem to have a float level problem rather than a fuel supply problem - any ideas?

Simes

Visit site
As ever, could be one of many things

How much fuel does your heater burn? For instance does it burn 1 litre per hour on full?
If less than 1 litre is it a lot less?

If you are not burning as much as you should then there is a restriction some where.

From the Metering valve (carburettor) there is a pipe going to the burner chamber, is this pipe clean and clear all of the way through?
Is the unit (heater) mounted level? I know that this sounds odd but even a slight incline will reduce the amount of fuel reaching the chamber (this could well be your issue as all of the problems you mention would be solved by this). Your Carb' may be releasing the correct amount of fuel but due to a slight up-hill run not enough fuel is reaching the burner chamber.
Are you getting sufficient fresh air to the unit? These heater do burn a lot (I mean
a LOT) of fresh air.
How is the draft? Does your flue get hot? it should get very hot (too hot to touch).
How much flue is there outside? Is this insulated to keep it hot? Hot air rises and if the flue is not hot the air will not rise and pull fresh air in at the bottom (draft).

I love these heaters (we have the Dickinson Antarctic, pumps out 11 Kilowatts on full and burns 16 litres a day, one number one it only burns 5.6 litres per day and keeps the inside of our 45 footer at around 70º F.) the Refleks was our first choice but we know the Dickinson range very well.

Simes

cormorant

Visit site
a lot to check....

Hi thank you, I am on a mud berth so the boat can sometimes be at different angles according to the wind strength and direction, however the heater underperforms consistently. Not sure how much fuel per hour i am actually using, less than normal I think as the heat output is not so great - I have seen my friend's heater on full and it roars away.

The flue does get very hot, far too hot to touch. The outer pipe is not insulated, however. It's about 15 inches above the deck including the "H" chimney.There is probably too little ventilation on the boat, however if I leave the hatch open there is no increase in the heat output.
Yes I think the carb is capable of releasing enough fuel, if I top it up manually the heater burns fiercely immediately, the float is hardly afloat though as it is. One other thing - my diesel tank take off is on top of the tank, i.e. it is a siphon. Would that affect the heater? I have measured the flow though and I do get 1 litre/hour through the pipe and this is exactly the maximum amount the heater is capable of burning

Simes

Visit site
A Lot to Check,

Hi Cormorant,

Reading what you say I still think that there is some form of restriction in the supply of fuel to the Burner. I am sure that you are getting the correct amount of fuel from the Carb'.
You may also be getting the correct amount of fuel from the tube to the Burner. But how much is in the burner?
From memory this should be about 3/8" deep when turned up to full.
Check the depth of fuel in the burner against the handbook.

We had ours burning low for no apparent reason, I had removed the chain from the anchor locker, allowing the hull to float bow high. Sat below with a spirit level in my hand I suddenly realised that because the whole boat was high at the bow so was the heater! I raised the height of the Carb' by 8mm this restored the level in the Burner and all is well again.

This may be your problem.

Simes

BabaYaga

Visit site
I wonder if it would not be worth trying to arrange a better fuel flow from the tank.
In the fitting instructions Refleks says the tank (bottom presumably) should be installed min. 200 mm above the regulator – indicating some head pressure is needed.
I think a flow rate of 1 litre/h sounds very weak indeed.
My heater (Glembring) is similar to the Refleks and uses the same regulator, as far as I know. The fuel is taken from the bottom of the tank and if free flowing would probably fill a 1 litre jar in a minute or two.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Have you tried blowing back through the supply line to convince yourself that it really is freeflowing? Bit of rubber hose jubilleeclipped over the heater end, to raise the open end higher than the tank fuel level, then blow or apply dinghy pump.
Then you could try running the heater from a temporary header tank ( jerrycan) via a rubber tube jubillee clipped onto the heater inlet...process of elimination..
As said, 1 litre per hour on full flow is no'but a drip really, ?

Simes

Visit site
1 Litre an Hour is a drip?

Fellas, 1 Litre an hour is 24 litres a day for 6 KW or so. That is a lot of fuel for not much heat.
The Dickinson burns 16 Litres a day for 11 KW.

I think that 1 Litre per hour is plenty. Do not forget that this is the amount being metered from the Carb' not just running out of the tank.

The amount leaving the tank or the Carb' is not the issue. the issue is how much is burnt in the Burner?

Simes

NormanS

Visit site
I have a Refleks diesel heater, it has never performed well on my boat, a friend has an identical heater and my "full" is more like his "half" or less. I have tested the fuel flow and I get 1 litre an hour arriving at the carburettor, which is the maximum the heater is supposed to burn on full. However, the float is not really afloat at all, indicating the fuel level is too low. Even if I remove the needle valve which cuts the fuel off, no difference. All filters clean. If I top the float chamber up manually though the heater roars away like it should on full. So I seem to have a float level problem rather than a fuel supply problem - any ideas?

I don't pretend to know anything about Reflex heaters, but if you say that when you top up the carb, and then it burns properly, (Roars), then the problem is lack of fuel in the carb. Can you rig up a temporary gravity supply from a can? that would give you some pointers.

BabaYaga

Visit site
I think that 1 Litre per hour is plenty. Do not forget that this is the amount being metered from the Carb' not just running out of the tank.

I might well have misunderstood the OP when he wrote "1 litre an hour arriving at the carburettor". If that is the amount of fuel coming OUT of the regulator(carb), like Simes says, then there must be some obstruction in the short pipe into the burner. There is a cleaning pin that should be used from time to time to clear the fuel line from soot etc where it enters the burner. This should then be slid out a bit when the heater is used.
It might also be a problem with the unit not being fitted vertically true, as Simes suggests.
I got the impression that 1 litre per hour was measured coming out of the line going INTO the regulator. That could too little for the regulator to operate properly.
Perhaps the OP could clarify?