Red or white diesel in jerrycan?

eddystone

Visit site
Friend of mine has never done a channel crossing, so I said would oblige, either Cherbourg or St Vaast; must be 20 years since I did that - I usually carry 10 spare litres in a plastic jerrycan. Would you; a) fill it with red diesel and have a receipt; b) fill it with white diesel (probably some residual stain); c) buy a new jerrycan and fill with white diesel?

lw395

Visit site
If you fill it with white, you can chuck it in the car at the end of the season.
10 litres of white is about £11 and easy to buy.

Option d) is don't bother with a jerrycan, or take it empty.
I wouldn't set out in zero wind forecast and I'd want to be confident the main tank was clean enough anyway.

westhinder

Visit site
Friend of mine has never done a channel crossing, so I said would oblige, either Cherbourg or St Vaast; must be 20 years since I did that - I usually carry 10 spare litres in a plastic jerrycan. Would you; a) fill it with red diesel and have a receipt; b) fill it with white diesel (probably some residual stain); c) buy a new jerrycan and fill with white diesel?
Diesel in jerrycans on board a boat has to be white diesel, at least on the continent.
As long as the residue is tiny, I wouldn't bother with a new jerrycan. French customs do not seem to be overly occupied with red diesel. Even Belgian customs will normally only do a visual check of any jerrycans.

maby

Visit site
Diesel in jerrycans on board a boat has to be white diesel, at least on the continent.
As long as the residue is tiny, I wouldn't bother with a new jerrycan. French customs do not seem to be overly occupied with red diesel. Even Belgian customs will normally only do a visual check of any jerrycans.

Indeed - the continental authorities seem reasonably willing to turn a blind eye to red diesel in the main tank but are more likely to complain about it in portable tanks. I guess the rationale is that the diesel in your main tanks is very unlikely to make its way into a vehicle that is used on the road, but fuel in a jerrycan can easily end up in a car.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Took the decision to use white this year, I've only used about 25 litres of diesel this year, so the tank is pink!

No need to find a local fuel station that sells red, just fill the can then fill the car with white.

Last edited:

Quandary

Visit site
Topped up our tank at Corpach, filled in and signed 60/40 declaration and paid just over £1.30 a litre, it was a bit cheaper at Tobermory earlier in the season but with road diesel at less than £1.10 it looks as if the yachtie is being ripped off again.
What is the point of red diesel and all the pallaver that goes with it when road fuel is so cheap.

sailorman

Visit site
If you fill it with white, you can chuck it in the car at the end of the season.
10 litres of white is about £11 and easy to buy.

Option d) is don't bother with a jerrycan, or take it empty.
I wouldn't set out in zero wind forecast and I'd want to be confident the main tank was clean enough anyway.
Be very careful mixing can used for red then fill with white & use it in the road vehicle, if traces of red are found in the vehicle tank it will be very costly

lw395

Visit site
Be very careful mixing can used for red then fill with white & use it in the road vehicle, if traces of red are found in the vehicle tank it will be very costly

Not sure how much contamination you would need to get caught?
AIUI, the dye tends to stain filters pink if much red is passed through.
Probably best to either use new cans or rinse them with white, putting the rinsed diesel in the boat tank.

Topcat47

Visit site
In your dreams, Any red contamination in a road vehicle other than a tractor will incur a fine. A neighbour with a tree felling business that legitimately used red on some of his vehicles was fined when one of his employees topped up his road vehicle from an old can containing red instead of the red plastic 5 litre in the trunk. There was less than 5 litres of red in a tankful of white but it was enough.

lw395

Visit site
In your dreams, Any red contamination in a road vehicle other than a tractor will incur a fine. A neighbour with a tree felling business that legitimately used red on some of his vehicles was fined when one of his employees topped up his road vehicle from an old can containing red instead of the red plastic 5 litre in the trunk. There was less than 5 litres of red in a tankful of white but it was enough.
5 litres is a lot probably more than 5%, worlds away from traces due to the can having been used previously for red.
That's also the kind of business whose vehicles are most likely to get tested.

eddystone

Visit site

Good point but I wouldn't. Think I'll swill a few litres of white in jerrycan and empty into (boat tank) nd then refill it up with white; won't remove the stain but shows intent!

Sybarite

Visit site

It would be cheaper to fill your jerrican in Cherbourg. Price in a marina is probably about €1.25 and in a service station around €1.08.

Heckler

Visit site
Not sure how much contamination you would need to get caught?
AIUI, the dye tends to stain filters pink if much red is passed through.
Probably best to either use new cans or rinse them with white, putting the rinsed diesel in the boat tank.
Ive been changing filters for many a year on plant and my boat, Ive never seen one stained pink!
S

lw395

Visit site
Ive been changing filters for many a year on plant and my boat, Ive never seen one stained pink!
S
I think that's where they test for the dye though?
AIUI, they can tell if a significant amount of red has been used, rather than just looking at the pinkness of what's in the tank.
Probably more info on dodgy land rover forums......

I guess this is why Redex for diesels is green?

theoldsalt

Visit site
.............What is the point of red diesel and all the pallaver that goes with it when road fuel is so cheap.

Because some of us have very old engines that do not run sweetly on low sulphur road diesel and I try to avoid bio fuel in my tank.

Last edited:

lw395

Visit site
It would be cheaper to fill your jerrican in Cherbourg. Price in a marina is probably about €1.25 and in a service station around €1.08.

If you make it to Cherbourg, you probably don't need it though!
Unless you're shipping it back to put in the car...