Red Funnel announce new fast ferry

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
"In addition to reducing air pollution and noise, the fully accessible passenger ferry will use cutting-edge hydrofoil propulsion technology to 'fly' over waves — lifting the vessel out of the water, to reduce drag and provide "a smoother, quieter and more comfortable experience for passengers", the ferry company states. "

Cutting edge hydrofoil technology eh?

I remember in I think it was 1983, crossing the North Sea on a hydrofoil passenger ferry. Ok it wasn't electric propulsion, but there is nothing new about a hydrofoil passenger vessel.

It was this one GTS (19) Princesse Clementine – Past and Present

Sailing at the time Dover to Ostend.

flaming

Visit site
"In addition to reducing air pollution and noise, the fully accessible passenger ferry will use cutting-edge hydrofoil propulsion technology to 'fly' over waves — lifting the vessel out of the water, to reduce drag and provide "a smoother, quieter and more comfortable experience for passengers", the ferry company states. "

I remember in I think it was 1983, crossing the North Sea on a hydrofoil passenger ferry. Ok it wasn't electric propulsion, but there is nothing new about a hydrofoil passenger vessel.
See I thought "cutting edge" just referred to the front of the foil when it meets a dolphin or something....

flaming

Visit site
According to Wikipedia: "In ancient Greek religion and mythology, Artemis is the goddess of the hunt, the wilderness, wild animals, nature, vegetation, childbirth, care of children, ..."

Did you have the childbirth aspect in mind? ;-)
I rather meant Iain Percy...

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com

I'm sure many other people will remember Greek island hopping on (IIRC, Russian) rough old hydrofoils...

johnalison

Visit site

It was this one GTS (19) Princesse Clementine – Past and Present

Sailing at the time Dover to Ostend.
I had a trip in the Jetfoil once at about the same time, maybe on the same trip! The weather had been bad and I had left my Mystere in Ostend the previous week. It was still blowing about F5 for the Jetfoil but the passage was very comfortable, and streets ahead of the awful hydrofoil trip to Calais.

I'd like to see the size of the Red Funnel battery.

flaming

Visit site
I'd like to see the size of the Red Funnel battery.
Yes the technical details here will be fascinating. Presumably they'll have charging setup at at least one end. So how long does the ferry have to be stationary for to replace the energy used on the trip must be the key consideration.

Tranona

Visit site
I'm sure many other people will remember Greek island hopping on (IIRC, Russian) rough old hydrofoils...
Still in use. Did Corfu to Albania in one. Also wizzed up the Baltic from St Peterburg to visit the summer Palace in one a few years ago

Davy_S

Visit site
Flying-Dolphin.jpg

smert

Visit site
I'm pretty sure Red Funnel were saying that there simply wasn't enough capacity in the local area to provide charging capabilities for electric cross solent ferries.