Red Diesel

DWT

Visit site
We now know that the application to continue the derogation for leisure boat users has been turned down. There is much debate on the main motor boat forum about the impact of this and it is still not clear exactly when the tax will increase and how much it will be, ie the minimum stipulated by the EU or the tax charged in the UK for road diesel.

What do we think on this forum. Will this be the final straw for many or will we just grin and bear it?

SimonA

Visit site
What with that and the increase in licence fees I'm sure some inland boaters on very tight budgets will be hit. But considering a lot of river boats have small engines I'm not sure the red diesel ban alone will make a huge impact. My engine burns about 3/4 gallon an hour at 5MPH.

But everything else is getting more expensive as well, marina fees seem to go up every year, licence fees are going up, insurance is getting more expensive. At some point those people with older less expensive boats will call it a day.

BG1

Visit site
Please don't get me going!

It is quite depressing being a boat owner at present, particularly on the Thames, considering we own boats for fun and leisure.
What with all the problems of mooring in the summer, NBs, the stupid BSS and its associated high costs, marina fees, insurance, maintenance, Thames Licence, the already high cost of fuel on the Thames (56p at Bray, 60p at Henley, 40p @ Chichester YB a few weeks ago how can they do it?).
If fuel goes to 95p/ltr it will cost £400 just to go to Chatham & return in my boat.
As for going on my usual summer cruise to Solent and beyond - forget it! I might as well fly to the Caribbean for 3wks - it'll be cheaper! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Chris_d

Visit site
I used to own petrol boats on the river and the actual cost of fuel was not that bad as you use less than 1 gallon an hour whether petrol or diesel. The biggest problem was obtaining petrol, on my stretch of the river impossible, and when you can its about 20p more than garage forecourts, hence I used to buy it at the garage and use jerry cans. If the tax is levied at road duty rates the waterside price will be much higher than the forecourt, hence carting jerry cans around full of diesel will be the way to go. This will obviously hit some boatyards quite hard and they may stop selling it altogether.

Possibly though we may see more boats "retiring" to the river to keep the costs down, many older 80's shaft driven 40ft ish semi displacement or planing boats are now going to be very expensive to run and possibly sell at all.

Thamesbank

www.thamesbank.org.uk
Diesel in Holland

Well, reckon on one Euro a litre in Holland. Red diesel is only for commercial vessels.
Still, with no licence fees, cheap moorings and plenty of facilities it's a great place to have a boat.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Red deisl taxes will knock coastal boating for six. However even the largest engines barely drink any at thames revs. It might therefore drive a few back to the thames especially as the idiot BSS is now relaxed a little.

PhilF

Visit site
we left Penton Hook and went to sea for some fun, I can't have fun using a tank full of fuel at £1,000 ish, gonna have to rethink

miket

Visit site
Re: Diesel in Holland

I think you can only buy red diesel in Holland "officially" if you are not Dutch registered and you are exiting Dutch waters. So no good if you are based in Holland.
Fines for having red diesel in the tank are very steep.