Recommend me a rev counter

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I would like an analogue rev counter that takes its information from a crankshaft sensor as opposed to sensing alternator output.
Does such a thing exist?
Ebay searches have not revealed one.
Digital display ones exist (I have one somewhere if only I could find it!).

Last edited:

scottie

Visit site
I would like an analogue rev counter that takes its information from a crankshaft sensor as opposed to sensing alternator output.
Does such a thing exist?
Ebay searches have not reveled one.
Why ?

Are you reinventing the wheel?

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Why ?

Are you reinventing the wheel?
Because it is a better engineering solution.
The one I have currently reads correctly at 400 rpm but progressively under reads at higher revs. Why? Belts slippage maybe or a defective gauge which can only be adjusted for one speed.
Sensing from an inductive or optical mark on the rankshaft seems much more elegant.

Refueler

Visit site
You answered it yourself - optical ....

I have hand-held - but I'm sure there must be a mounted one ? But of course you also want Analogue dial .... mmm apart from pulsed alternator sensor ???

Plum

Visit site
Does such a thing exist?
Ebay searches have not revealed one.
I have not seen an analogue one that uses a crank sensor. I fitted a Durite one 13 years ago and is still perfect. https://www.durite.co.uk/durite-sho...-dial-12-2/052530-led-illuminated-marine.html. (latest model, looks identical). Which uses the alternator connection. It has a calibration adjuster which I set at cruising revs using a RPM app on my phone which gave me accuracy over the rev range within the resolution of the dial so, for me, no benefit of a crank sensor.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Several analogue sensor types available (crank or any other spinning part), -even wireless!

One on Amz
But there is no reference to a sensor. The output from an alternator er alternsates - probably a sine wave.
Outputs from pulse sensors are square wave (or sawtooth). With an engineering background, I would hope the interface would be defined.
The Amazon entries are typically Chinese with adulation and repetition.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
But there is no reference to a sensor. The output from an alternator er alternsates - probably a sine wave.
Outputs from pulse sensors are square wave (or sawtooth). With an engineering background, I would hope the interface would be defined.
VDO make analogue tachos that work from a sensor. I have 4 here, 2 at each helm, the sensors aren't cheap though.

I have just replaced the 2 at the lower helm with KUS tachos, these work with the engine sensors or tachos. I have spare VDO gauges, but they are 24v.

See KUS Tachometer Gauge 3000 RPM with Hourmeter (Black) But i bought mine on Ali Express.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site

In many cases sensors are referenced in detail. The one I randomly linked to has a description:

Tachometer Sensor Model: M18 x 1.5 / M16 x 1.5

Operating Current: ≤60MA
Operating Voltage: 12V / 24
Range: 0-3KRPM
Input Signal: Additional signal from tachometer sensor, engine, alternator, ignition coil, crankshaft sensor, etc.

If you order a kit with (e.g. NPN-) sensor etc. there should be no compatibility issues. Autometer offers a pickup to fit on the alternator outside, which works with many brands if you don't want their gauge.

In cases where the original signal source can not be found/fixed easily, a replacement seems tempting. Especially if at a fraction of the cost.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
VDO make analogue tachos that work from a sensor. I have 4 here, 2 at each helm, the sensors aren't cheap though.

I have just replaced the 2 at the lower helm with KUS tachos, these work with the engine sensors or tachos. I have spare VDO gauges, but they are 24v.

See KUS Tachometer Gauge 3000 RPM with Hourmeter (Black) But i bought mine on Ali Express.
When KUS state "engine signal" do they mean alternator W-terminal to send the Wave frequency?

Refueler

Visit site

PaulRainbow

Visit site
When KUS state "engine signal" do they mean alternator W-terminal to send the Wave frequency?
Sorry, post #10 should have said "engine sensors or alternators", not "engine sensors or tachos".

The ones i have do work with either, i tested that when i fitted them.