Recommend me a fabricator that can make a SS louver.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I have a louver on the exterior or my boat and at the moment it is powder coated aluminium this is not ideal in a salty environment as over time it has corroded. I would like to replace this with a stainless steel louver of the right grade but the difficulty is finding someone who can do it and polish it so that there are no heat marks.

I am based between the south coat and London and would love to hear of any recommendations.

DSCF4263.JPG

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a louver on the exterior or my boat and at the moment it is powder coated aluminium this is not ideal in a salty environment as over time it has corroded. I would like to replace this with a stainless steel louver of the right grade but the difficulty is finding someone who can do it and polish it so that there are no heat marks.

I am based between the south coat and London and would love to hear of any recommendations.

View attachment 77169

You may be able to find a replacement off the shelf.

Several here.

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=s...hAhWluXEKHUSQBi8QsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1350&bih=559

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Funny, I couldn't spot any the same shape in your link...

Ok What size and shape does the OP require.

I have used multiple standard vents available to make up various sizes and shapes I need.

Its very time consuming to fabricate vents like the one shown by the OP as its looks line the louvers are pressed and a press tool to do that is not viable for a one off.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
There is a picture in post #1 showing the shape.

Ok I see but you still need a proper press tool to make a comparable item in stainless.

It would be easier and more cost effective to take something standard off the shelf that is close even if it's not the exact size and shape to replace the corroded item.

Any one with any knowledge of thin sheet steel stainless steel fabrication would understand the the issues involved without making it look like a pigs ear.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Ok I see but you still need a proper press tool to make a comparable item in stainless.

It would be easier and more cost effective to take something standard off the shelf that is close even if it's not the exact size and shape to replace the corroded item.

Any one with any knowledge of thin sheet steel stainless steel fabrication would understand the the issues involved without making it look like a pigs ear.

No doubt that's why the OP wanted some recommendations for quality stainless fabricators.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
No doubt that's why the OP wanted some recommendations for quality stainless fabricators.

The item that the OP is looking is NOT a fabricateable item its an item manufactured using press tools not welding and cutting as in fabricating.

Can you not stop your picking fault with posters, you seen to have to be correct all the time have you not learned anything from you shore leave.

As I said before it always up to the OP who asks the question to pick the solution that suits him from the range of different experiences we have on this forum.

rotrax

Visit site
The item that the OP is looking is NOT a fabricateable item its an item manufactured using press tools not welding and cutting as in fabricating.

Of course it can be hand fabricated by a skilled metalworker, but probably not in thin and springy S/S.

Any good Vintage car body man will be capable of knocking up one in alloy. They do louvres all the time in bonnet sides.

Perhaps the OP should have the old one bead blasted and painted

It would save a lot of grief-and arguments on here.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Can you not stop your picking fault with posters, you seen to have to be correct all the time have you not learned anything from you shore leave.

As I said before it always up to the OP who asks the question to pick the solution that suits him from the range of different experiences we have on this forum.

A company like MrStainless would have no difficulty in making a replacement. The original may, or may not, be pressed, that doesn't mean the replacement has to be.

pvb

Visit site

Would it maybe be possible to ask Discovery who made the aluminium louvred vent, and see whether they could make a stainless steel one? If it's a pressing, it might be possible to use the same tooling for thin stainless.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Of course it can be hand fabricated by a skilled metalworker, but probably not in thin and springy S/S.

Any good Vintage car body man will be capable of knocking up one in alloy. They do louvres all the time in bonnet sides.

Perhaps the OP should have the old one bead blasted and painted

It would save a lot of grief-and arguments on here.

When I fitted a Rover V8 into my TR7 I had to fit a power bulge and louvers to allow for the extra height of the engine

I did it the sane way as these people do it by welding a panel with louvers pressed into a panel and welding that panel into the bonnet,

louvre4-150x150.jpg

http://www.sportscarmetalworks.com/bonnet-louvres/

In the case of a uniform length louver you only need a single press tool to make one louver at a time of in the case of mass production multiple louvers in one shot.

The OP louver panel has louvers that increase in size so to do it one at a time would need a tool of each louver or a single press tool which would press the whole louvre panel in one shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Would it maybe be possible to ask Discovery who made the aluminium louvred vent, and see whether they could make a stainless steel one? If it's a pressing, it might be possible to use the same tooling for thin stainless.

Thats a much better approach than trying to get one fabricated from flat stainless steel.