Really fugly sailing boat

Habebty

Visit site
No, I've seen worse, it's just different. Mind you, I like different so don't take too much notice.
If I could afford that, I probably wouldn't care what anyone thought! :)

Alan ashore

Visit site
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I do start to feel that I'm missing something that lies in the eyes of a new generation of beholders. Do they find, say, Cutty Sark, or Endeavour as ugly as we find that thing? Who knows.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
I think its growing on me.

I get the impression that it dosent like cameras and that in the flesh it might be really OK

`Oh yeah, looks like the tug is a permanent fixture....

Orion Jim

Visit site
Its just ugly. It's no more attractive than a North Sea drilling platform. What was the design inspiration, a door stop?

jwilson

Visit site
It's usually planing motor yachts that I think " ...... a very large hole drilled in the bottom of the hull whilst in deep water could improve it no end" but this is just about the first sailing yacht that I've thought the same about.

I can usually find something to like, or at least understand why someone else likes, but not this.

snowleopard

Visit site
I think most sailors' view of beauty is conditioned by a historical ideal which is usually something like Velsheda - lots of teak and varnish, low freeboard and strong sheer. Anything outside the conventional is labelled as ugly.

Personally I'm accustomed to that and prefer to ignore it, not surprising as I have a multihull with an unconventional rig. If form follows function it can have its own attraction. I like this one for example-

Yacht-Maltese-Falcon-sail-3.jpg

But I have heard it called ugly, presumably because it's not a conventional square rigger.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I think most sailors' view of beauty is conditioned by a historical ideal which is usually something like Velsheda - lots of teak and varnish, low freeboard and strong sheer. Anything outside the conventional is labelled as ugly.

Personally I'm accustomed to that and prefer to ignore it, not surprising as I have a multihull with an unconventional rig. If form follows function it can have its own attraction. I like this one for example-

View attachment 54180

But I have heard it called ugly, presumably because it's not a conventional square rigger.

That yacht is not ugly - it is modern and it has a certain elegance which comes from its function as a good sailing yacht and providing luxury accommodation. (The interior is not to my taste though - although I doubt that is ever going to pose a problem at the present charter rates).

It does not have the grace of some of the old ladies you see in the Saint Tropez classics - but it is a good modern sailing yacht.

But the yacht in the OP is really just ugly. I cannot see anything to justify that shape. Also Starck did Steve Job's boat - that was a slab sided 1960's appartment block with a bridge which looked like a second hand computer flea market.

I don't think Starck will be designing a boat for me anytime soon.....