reading group

beancounter

Visit site
Hi Birthday Boy!... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

may be worth a try...my good lady is involved in such a group at her work - seems successful.

RupertW

Visit site
Sounds good to me - othwerwise it'll probably get very random then fizzle out.

Ah, but we now have to discuss what book to read first. Hmm...I don't think I've read any new nautical books recently, so over to.....

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
Happpy Birthday !

Well, I am just about to start Attention All Shipping: A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast' by Charlie Connelly.

I bought it for SwMBO for Christmas and it comes throughly recommended from her.

Amazon.com Synopsis

The solemn, rhythmic intonation of the shipping forecast on BBC radio is as familiar as the sound of Big Ben chiming the hour. Since its first broadcast in the 1920s it has inspired poems, songs and novels in addition to its intended objective of warning generations of seafarers of impending storms and gales. Sitting at home listening to the shipping forecast can be a cosily reassuring experience. There's no danger of a westerly gale eight, veering southwesterly increasing nine later (visibility poor) gusting through your average suburban living room, blowing the Sunday papers all over the place and startling the cat. Yet familiar though the sea areas are by name, few people give much thought to where they are or what they contain. In ATTENTION ALL SHIPPING Charlie Connelly wittily explores the places behind the voice, those mysterious regions whose names seem often to bear no relation to conventional geography. Armchair travel will never be the same again.

G

I've got it at home, but haven't started it yet.

Will do now...

-Keith

phanakapan

Visit site
I've got it, starting reading with great interest, but for some reason haven't finished it...unusual for me... I'll give it another go and join in discussion after.

Sorry Nas, I'd like us to come up with a different way of selecting the next read...I'd like a chance of a turn at selecting a book without my rusty writing skills being tested /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ningcompoop

Visit site
Read 'Attention all shipping' - didn't feel the need to skip to the last page to find out how it ended! It's got lots of interesting facts, but I don't think Charlie Connoly is as funny as he thinks he is. This has been reinforced by seeing his forays into TV. But don't let me put anyone off.
I'm intermitantly reading 'To light a fire and other stories' by Jack London (The Call of the Wild chap) -some of it's a bit 'boys own' and it's not all boaty but language and storytelling is fantastic.

Tisme

Visit site
I started to read the Connelly book, but gave up on it.

I got the distinct impression that he was trying to "do" a Bill Bryson when he wrote it, and he just wasn't very good at it. Most of the time he was on land, and there was very little about the sea or sailing which he obviously knew very little about. The stuff on land was mundane.

It's unusual for me to give up on a book but when the book is a poor imitation of another writers style then I find something else to read.

Read one of Bill Brysons books instead. Much better. Much funnier.

Booker Prize rating? 2/10.

But I still don't want to see another forum opened up to discuss books! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

G

I've just finished it and must admit I started to skim in the last 80 - 100 pages. I think you're right about the 'cheap' Bill Bryson. I get the idea that Charlie thinks he's a lot funnier than I do.

Some of the amusing anecdotes came across as 'padding' when there was nothing to say about the place he was visiting. But I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else thought - so it was worth reading from that point of view.

-Keith

StugeronSteve

Visit site
Reading group would be an excellent idea, but please don't start with "Attention All Shipping". I think I would probably die of some dreadful, boredom induced, malaise if I ever had to read it again.

Sorry, but for me it was Bill Bryson, without the humour, insight and ability!

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Well, following the thread, I bought it, and i've read the first few pages (40 or so?), and seem to have lost interest.... and have just realised that I've not picked it up for nearly a fortnight which isn't like me, I'm normally a 'pick it up and read it until its finished' type of person..... its not my kind of book, and I didn't find it a gripping read......

I'll put this one down, as a 'not me' rather than a poor read though....