Re-Proofing Wet Weather Gear

alant

Visit site
Nikwax/Musto/Henri-Lloyd/etc, promote DIY re-proofing clothing (excluding leather) gunk.

An initial gunk is required, which prepares any clothing, followed by another gunk, which reproofs. Not cheap stuff X 2 required.

Original proofing apparently, gets destroyed by washing in detergents.

Do these work & how effective are they?

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
Dunno about sailing gear but have reproofed my Gortex walking jacket with Nikwax and it has gone back to be water repellent and no longer leaks.

I beleive that the most important part of the proofing is the washing which revives the Goretex which gets clogged with use and then starts to let in water.

Visit site
All you need is fabsil but for a pucker job id take it to my loca sailmaker. They can get it done professionally at the sail laundry and it doesnt cost much. Where are you and i may be able to recommend someone near by.

Vara

Visit site
Nikwax/Musto/Henri-Lloyd/etc, promote DIY re-proofing clothing (excluding leather) gunk.

An initial gunk is required, which prepares any clothing, followed by another gunk, which reproofs. Not cheap stuff X 2 required.

Original proofing apparently, gets destroyed by washing in detergents.

Do these work & how effective are they?

My experience is with Nikwax products.

Buy suitable products follow instructions and they work very well. Website is good for choosing products.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/index.php

Chrissie

Visit site
When I used to sell Musto and Henry Lloyd gear, their washing instructions suggested cooler wash and cool tumble dry,or line dry, never leave in car in hot sun or use too much heat to dry. It seems that the heat helps destroy the waterproofing more than the actual washing.

cowpat

Visit site
Waterproofing

This is just personal choice... I have had several of the more expensive waterproofs and the trousers, as you say, seem to never stay waterproof at the knees. Now I use the cheapest PVC ones(building site type)and they seem to be dryer and last longer ! !

spscam

N/A
Visit site
our sailmaker sends it to Tip Top as featured in PBO and they clean and reproof. Very good and cheap i think it was about £7 or 8 per item.