re-licence

byron

RIP
Visit site
Not having received my forms to tax the boat for 2007 I gave them a ring. They told me me my BSS runs out in March but I can still tax my boat as long as its before then. I said OK! I will do it now and give you my Credit Card, they said nope! you have to give us the forms back before we can accept payment and they will send them out again to me.
In that case I may as well pay by cheque and enclose it with the forms.
At least it has prompted me to get in touch with good old Bill Kane and ask him to come and re-do the BSS. I assume Bill is still the #1 choice Inspector?
oceaneagle.jpg

TrueBlue

Visit site
Tim Allen has always been very helpful to me, but I suppose he's a bit too far downstream for you (Molesey).

Do you need a BSS for your launch? Seems a bit daft as it seems to be about not gassing yourself or setting fire to ditto. Have you got a cooker aboard?

byron

RIP
Visit site
No cooker, not even a bog, still needs the soppy BSS though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
DON't START ME OFF /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
Sorry, 'twas an innocent question, but I know how you feel. Seems to be a form filling nowadays and make-up-the-rules-as-you-go-along.
Whoops! off again...

Brayman

Visit site
I had Bill to do mine, very fair minded yet thorough. Shouldn't take him more than 5 minutes to do yours.
Better check your headlight alignment and brake lights before he comes.

nickcred

Visit site
I used Bill Kane last April or May following a recommendation from the forum. He was a real gent, practical and interesting. That was my first experience of getting the BSS done and I think Bill made it a very pleasent one. O and she passed with flying colours as well.

sarabande

Visit site
Having brought my M/S up from the salty uppydowny stuff to the relative tranquility of a Thames marina, am I correct in thinking that I can keep the boat there without a BSS, until such time as I need to venture onto the wild and pirate-ridden river ?

I am re-doing the electrics, gas, distillery, and anything wobbles between truck and transom (if I had one). Is there anyone who could give me a rundown on a sensible strategic approach to getting certified, over a beer or two please ?

Based near Chertsey.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Arrrrggggghhhh!

Not really wanting to upset you too much, BUT you should be aware of the following:-

A while ago some poor **chap was apparently (he never came back to report) "done" in Oundle Marina for not being "registered" (licensed). He said he'd pay, but EA wouldn't play 'cos he hadn't got a BSS. He couldn't get one 'cos the boat was in pieces. EA issued a summons - wouldn't be flexible. That's the last report I saw.

The rules on the Thames are different, but are about to be changed (hardly anybody has objected...). Timescale uncertain.

You should be aware of the above if your fit-out is going to take some time.

Apart from that potential horror download the BSS manual here -

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/site/2ndeditionBSSEssentialGuide_212.asp

I'm sorry to say that the scheme has moved away from quantifiable specifics (i.e. something that you can read and understand what precisely is required), to a waffly unclear "risk analysis".

In essence the standards are there so that you don't gas yourself, and / or aren't a danger to others.

Read the book, ring up the BSS folks who are very nice and well-meaning and go from there. In all truth it's not something to be frightened of, especially if you get a good examiner - one of those mentioned on this forum.

OK?

Cliveshep

Visit site
Re: re-licence - Nickred

Could you please PM me Bill Kane's contact details? Our BSS issued in Gt. Yarmouth expires next year and as we've moved down here it would be good to know contact details of a well-reccomended local to our mooring (Weybridge).

Thanks.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: re-licence - Nickred

[ QUOTE ]
Could you please PM me Bill Kane's contact details? Our BSS issued in Gt. Yarmouth expires next year and as we've moved down here it would be good to know contact details of a well-reccomended local to our mooring (Weybridge).

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emailed you address, phone & email address of Bill kane. he lives near where you are going to be moored