Raysand Channel

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I'm hoping to anchor up the Pyfleet tomorrow night, then back to the Crouch via the Ray Sand Channel on Thursday morning. I've never done the Ray Sand before.

Can anyone tell me where to go in, where to come out, what the heading across is and finally, does it really save any time given that I'll have to punch the tide to get out of the Pyfleet to the Raysand at half tide when I could leave an hour or two earlier and go out through the Spitway and back? I need to be at the mouth of the Crouch for about two hours before high water to give me time to get back to my mooring.

Boat is a Sadler 29, draws just over a meter and I have a GPS but not a chart plotter. Oh, and I'll be single handed. Not that that makes any difference.

AliM

Visit site
Having done exactly that on Sunday in very dense fog, I can report that Tillergirl's measurements were exactly right and very helpful (see a few messages down!). It saved about 5 miles compared to the Spitway route, so approx an hour, or a bit less since you have a foul tide down the Colne.

Worth it for the experience if nothing else.

FullCircle

Visit site
Its not a mile, probably somewhat less than 1/2 mile for the heart stopping stuff /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Creep down there, line up the buoy on the Crouch side and head due south.

There will be some movement of the depth, it all moved a bit eastish in the last couple of years.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I've not had any trouble as long as I pass the southern edge of it within 2 hours of high tide with a 1.5 metre draft. I must admit I slow down as much as I can when down to 1.7 metres on the southern side. A direct line between the Outer Crouch and the Benchhead Buoy avoids the worst of the shallows either end. But as you say I'm not sure it saves any time if you have to wait for a favourable tide.