Raymarine st60+ depth reading problem

Nigbb

Visit site
Can anyone shed any light please, I am getting some pretty wacky depth reading on my Raymarine ST60+ and am have no luck trying to calibrate the unit. When alongside I can get a reading of 4 mrt one minute and the 6 mrt the next.
Could this be the transducer or the actual tri data unit?
Will the transducers either "work or don't work " or can they get unreliable?
Any help would be appreciated.

Obi

Visit site
I had an old B&G depth that gave the same kind of wacky readings.

I wondered if it was fish causing the "bounce" of the depth, but I am pretty sure it was the transducer. It was a decade or so ago now so my memory of events might not be 100%. I seem to recall being told that there is a coil inside the transducer, fixed in epoxy and that over time it because less reliable (water ingress perhaps?) and can give a reading that fluctuates once this happens. Unable to source a replacement transducer, I had little choice so I bought a new display and transducer.

Nigbb

Visit site
Aha I see, thanks for that info.
I think I am going to have to replace the transducer (as it's the cheapest part) and if that doesn't work then look at the unit .
Cheers Nigel

Obi

Visit site
Morning Nigel,
I think that sounds quite a sensible way to proceed. Unless of course you are being haunted by shoals of fish causing your depth to bounce around.

I am not sure where you are based, but because my B&G gear was quite old I could not source a new replacement and found myself at a fascinating second hand chandlery on the south coast that was sited in an old barge. I did a quick google and there seem to be a few second hand suppliers, this might be a better option until you know exactly there the fault is. Here are the google results I found:
Google Results

Good luck,
Mark

Nigbb

Visit site
Morning Nigel,
I think that sounds quite a sensible way to proceed. Unless of course you are being haunted by shoals of fish causing your depth to bounce around.

I am not sure where you are based, but because my B&G gear was quite old I could not source a new replacement and found myself at a fascinating second hand chandlery on the south coast that was sited in an old barge. I did a quick google and there seem to be a few second hand suppliers, this might be a better option until you know exactly there the fault is. Here are the google results I found:
Google Results

Good luck,
Mark
Hi Mrk
Thanks for that, I have now managed to get a marine electrician to come a give me a diagnosis, my electrician knowledge is pretty rudimentary.
I think I am into a new transducer or, as you say a used head display unit.
Cheers Nigel

Reactions: Obi