Raymarine Axom 7 or Element 7

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi,
I am going to install a new chartplotter and despite my reservations I was thinking Of buying the Vulcan 7R. Although ive had problems in the past with the same model I liked some of the features for instance the Tide info and display was really useful.

However I keep considering the Raymarine Axom 7 and the cheaper Raymarine Element 7. Forgetting the brand name and reputation that comes with Ray marine, How do forum members rate these 2 displays. what really is the difference between the 2 units ?

Steveeasy

Tranona

Visit site
Suggest you also look at Garmin, but first you have to decide whether you want a "basic" system like the Element/Vulcan/Echomap UHD or the more expensive, greater functionality systems like the Axiom.

Much will depend on how you intend to use it and the degree of integration you envisage with your other instruments and autopilot.

On my Bavaria I had the all singing and dancing integrated Garmin system but to be frank I used very little of its capacity and the 2 best features were the large screen at the wheel binnacle and the simple operation of the autopilot. With my cramped cockpit, tiller steered GH with just speed and depth and a tiller pilot I decided the more expensive ones were wasted and chose a Garmin Echomap 75 mounted on the external cabin bulkhead where it is visible from the helm. It was also the best value as it came with a preloaded chart.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I went through a similar analysis last year. In the end Raymarine had a deal, 25% discount on trade in of old plotter. As I had ST60 instruments and Evo Autohelm, I went for Raymarine Axiom.

It was an easy instal and networking. It has been reliable and I am satisfied with the otter. I used the ST60, EVo and Plotter all standalone initially.

When I networked the components together the benefits became apparent, obviously. I guess the point I am making is make sure you can network any other systems to the plotter.

The next upgrade will be a barometric pressure sensor so that the Axiom will trend pressure.

Without the discount, I would have binned the old plotter and just used a tablet with Navionics. Glad I did not do that.

SaltyC

Visit site
From memory (yes been pondering) Axiom on offer at 40% discount from marine superstore, yes touch screen but you can get 'the buttons ' separately which for me would put tge screen under the sprayhood and tge controls at tge binnacle! Interesting proposition.

ithet

Visit site
The remote keypad is mounted on a black plastic board which is fixed to the plotter. The wires are connected at the back. The whole setup sits in a bracket under the sprayhood and is stored inside the boat when not in use.
View attachment 170154

You can also get a horizontal aspect key pad also.

The Axioms have more functionality and interconnectivity than than the Elements. I.e. Axioms can show tack lay lines (if a water speed input available), and can have a interface to any Raymarine digital scanner (wired or WiFi). The Element has simpler Plotter functionality, and the only radar connection is WiFi to Quantum scanners. Of course these restrictions may not be significant to you. I suggest you compare the rest of the specs carefully.

Marinesuperstore seem to have some good sale deals on both Axiom and Element at the moment (and others).

Greg2

Visit site
Forgetting the brand name and reputation that comes with Ray marine, How do forum members rate these 2 displays. what really is the difference between the 2 units ?

Steveeasy

Perhaps I am missing something but what is wrong with Raymarine?

Their kit has always been my preference and on our current boat we replaced the old C120 with a new Axiom 12” on the chart table across the companionway from the lower helm with a remote key pad on the helm. Works a treat as I can see the plotter and operate it from the helm seat.

Also added a smaller Axiom touchscreen only on the flybridge networked with the lower helm plotter and a Qunatum radar. Managed to network with the old Raymarine autopilot and depth/speed and subsequently added AIS. Very happy with it all and in particular the two Axioms. Did consider an Element as a lower cost option on the flybridge but glad we didn’t go with that option.

SaltyC

Visit site
Perhaps I am missing something but what is wrong with Raymarine?

Their kit has always been my preference and on our current boat we replaced the old C120 with a new Axiom 12” on the chart table across the companionway from the lower helm with a remote key pad on the helm. Works a treat as I can see the plotter and operate it from the helm seat.

Also added a smaller Axiom touchscreen only on the flybridge networked with the lower helm plotter and a Qunatum radar. Managed to network with the old Raymarine autopilot and depth/speed and subsequently added AIS. Very happy with it all and in particular the two Axioms. Did consider an Element as a lower cost option on the flybridge but glad we didn’t go with that option.
Many thanks for confirming the remote keypad. Going from Axiom to Axiom Pro is a major cost. Totally reliant on touch screen on deck under sprayhood is a leap of faith for a luddite.
However, remote keypad at steering pedestal to control plotter out of reach under sprayhood sounds a perfect answer.

Greg2

Visit site
Many thanks for confirming the remote keypad. Going from Axiom to Axiom Pro is a major cost. Totally reliant on touch screen on deck under sprayhood is a leap of faith for a luddite.
However, remote keypad at steering pedestal to control plotter out of reach under sprayhood sounds a perfect answer.

Yes, absolutely.

To be fair the main benefit will be operating it from the helm as we have managed fine with the touchscreen on the fly, which is completely exposed and no spray hood. That said, if it gets too unpleasant we do retreat to the comfort of the wheelhouse! 😁

westhinder

Visit site
I didn’t want to depend on touch screen only either and I’m glad I took the keypad. Putting a marker or a waypoint in an exact location when you’re hard on the wind in a seaway is so much easier. You will soon work out for yourself which actions you’re comfortable with on the touchscreen and for which ones you prefer the keypad.
I might also add that coming from my old C120 plotter the Axiom is a serious leap in userfriendliness

ashtead

Visit site
Once paired with an iPad or other device you can manage a newer raymarine /Garmin etc from comfort below or under sprayhood of course . Having the plotter by helm is fine but many now seem to fit down by knees which isn’t ideal for waypoints placing unless you with another who helms while plotting on going. The most important feature we use though is AIS when channel crossing but maybe the OPs voyaging area is more coastal where perhaps AIS is less value? You don’t say if you have AIS but if budget was limited if not I would be focusing on a package with AIS send/receive to fit your budget even if it means a more basic plotter unit . If would suggest you might get down to marine superstore at port Solent and have a play or maybe book on one of the courses hosted at raymarine offices which I found helpful when we had new plotter. Ours is older raymarine from 2015 though with touchscreen which I tend to use most -spinning the controls to move cursor etc seems quite alien nowadays but I guess maybe more accurate but we haven’t really had issues generally using touchscreen so I do wonder if the wheel control is essential even without the diy pad shown above.

Greg2

Visit site
Ours is older raymarine from 2015 though with touchscreen which I tend to use most -spinning the controls to move cursor etc seems quite alien nowadays but I guess maybe more accurate but we haven’t really had issues generally using touchscreen so I do wonder if the wheel control is essential even without the diy pad shown above.

If you have a remote keypad the screen is still touchscreen so having the ability operate remotely from the helm and also being able to get close up and use the touchscreen under the shelter of the spray hood is the best of both worlds. I actually tend to work using touchscreen at the chart table when passage planning and use the remote for zooming in, switching screens etc from the helm when underway.

KREW2

Visit site
If your looking for an element 7, here is a link from another post on reader to reader forum. At £395 including a lighthouse chart it is a very good deal.
Marine superstore have some plotters on discount just now
Fixed GPS/plotters Archives

KREW2

Visit site
On the Raymarine Element series, beware! There is no backlighting for keypad etc. Useless on a dark night unless you have cabin lighting on.
I have an element 9. There are not a lot of buttons to worry about. the glow of the plotter will give you enough light