Ray Sand

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Thank you for all the work you have put in. I feel guilty now as at the boat show I looked at but did not buy your book! I am 'hoping' that I get given it at Christmas /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

From time to time I have to review books for the Sailing Association as their East Coast rep. While ago had East Coast Pilot and just has 'Where land meets the sea' (superb photos), maybe I'll get yours too!

MoodySabre

Visit site
Excellent stuff. Now I know why I got down 0.2m under my keel last year when crossing near the yellow buoy at HW-1.30 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Slightly worrying as it was foggy too and I couldn't see anything else and had never been to the Crouch before. Luckily Mr Garmin knew the way.

tillergirl

Visit site
Thanks for the comments. Mr Garmin, Mr Garmin!! I remember when.........

Don't know if I've said this before on here but on the first crossing of the Estuary back in the Decca days, it was flat calm and what started as a misty morn ended up pretty poor vis. We just got round the the edge of the East Barrow in the Black Deep and could see only the Barrow No 6 and 7. We are in the middle when I look at my echo sounder - you know the circular whirling thing that we all have (!). But I had the one with the digital readout as well and that says 0.8m. Ahh, all stop. Flat calm, nothing in sight except the two channel buoys and we are in the middle. How can it read 0.8m. Out with the sounding pole (you all have one don't you) and "no bottom with this stick skipper". We drift a bit and suddenly the readout says 19m. Oh it must be having a fit. Back in gear and a cable later, 0.7m. All stop. Hang on have we got wrongly orientated in the fog and that No 7 is in the Barrow and that No 6 in the Black Deep and we are over the Sunk Sand. Don't be daft, they are the wrong way round for that. Where are we then?

Sudden, a new dawning and clever skipper reaches for the range knob on the sophisticated echo thingy and turns it from x1 to x6. The 0.7m magically turns into 20.7m! Ho, ho, Ho.