Rate of duty on imported spares

Freebee

Visit site
I am thinking of importing mercruiser legs from the USA. Does anyone know what rate and of duty this would attract and is VAT applied as well?

ccscott49

Visit site
I don't know about duty, but VAT is applicable at 17.5% for sure, when I got something from west marine, they charged me VAT, but I can't remember if it had duty aswell, didn't look, so pleased it had arrived, you know the thing, kids at Christmas, new toys to play with etc.

neale

Visit site
Import duty is charged at around 3-5%. Then there is the handling fee charged by the courier co on this side of the pond, Anything from £10. The real killer is the VAT. This is charged on the declared value of the goods being shipped PLUS the duty PLUS the cost of shipping. When importing something heavy like an outdrive leg the shiiping will be quite substantial and to get charged 17.5% on top this can make it less attractive.

dom

Visit site
Funnily enough just had one delivered from States this morning.
Ordered 10 days ago.
Cost of leg £1720 (Brand new Mercruiser Alpha One)
Air freight £150
Bill from Customs £330ish (invoice not seen yet)
Total £2200
Am I Happy?
Dont know as I have not got home to open the box yet!!!

Freebee

Visit site
I have been watching your post and contacted Doug Russel for a quote which seems too good to pass up hence my enquiry about VAT and duty.
Let me know if the leg is OK

dom

Visit site
Its unwrapped and certainly looks fine, fitting it tonight!
First try Bates Wharf in Chertsey, talked to chap there this morning who seemed to think there were some cheap originals knocking around, too late for me but worth a shot, tried Barrus myself (the importers) but they refer you to a dealer.
Let me know how you get on.

dom

Visit site
According to yellow pages 01932-571141
The guy I spoke to was in the service / parts dept.

dom

Visit site
In a word no!
I thought that was the gen 2 leg.
Didnt realize the option was available on standard Alpha 1. Can it be retro fitted?

David2452

Visit site
Dom,
Good job it wasn't a genII Doug sent you, or you would have needed a new gimble ring as well to make it fit.

The remote oil resevour kit is available, but not as neat as the later factory fitted gen II one as the pipe runs from the fill level plug on the leg to the resevoir instead of internally through the gimble ring. Still well worth having though and easy to fit.

David