Rapid wear of cutlass bearing problem.

celandine

Visit site
I have started to get very rapid wear on my cutlass bearing - now having to change it every season.
I can't see any misalignment of the P- bracket, nor bend in the shaft by eye, though as yet, I can't say for certain that this is not the case.
Has anyone else experienced this and, hopefully, found a cause/cure.

The set-up is :

V-drive installation. (so shaft is relatively long)
Shaft size: 1 3/8 ins
P-bracket.
Two bladed prop.
Conventional, flexible stuffing-gland.
The boat is kept in a marina with a tidal flow, but the shaft does not turn in the tide.
There is some slight wear on the shaft itself, but this is only just detectable when the bearing is new.
Weirdly the wear seems to get worse while the boat is unused over the winter prior to a haul-out in the Spring.

Plum

Visit site
I have started to get very rapid wear on my cutlass bearing - now having to change it every season.
I can't see any misalignment of the P- bracket, nor bend in the shaft by eye, though as yet, I can't say for certain that this is not the case.
Has anyone else experienced this and, hopefully, found a cause/cure.

The set-up is :

V-drive installation. (so shaft is relatively long)
Shaft size: 1 3/8 ins
P-bracket.
Two bladed prop.
Conventional, flexible stuffing-gland.
The boat is kept in a marina with a tidal flow, but the shaft does not turn in the tide.
There is some slight wear on the shaft itself, but this is only just detectable when the bearing is new.
Weirdly the wear seems to get worse while the boat is unused over the winter prior to a haul-out in the Spring.

Wow, one season out of a cutless is not good. My last one lasted more than 13 years (not sure how old it was when I bought the boat). What do you define a worn? Mine had close to 1 mm of free play before I changed it and it was not giving any problems.

Colin. Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Topcat47

Visit site
If you're sure the shaft is straight and true, an out of balance prop is the next thing to look at. Not just from a weight point of view but if the pitch of each blade is different, this will also set up harmonics. A loose P Bracket is also a possibility.

Tranona

Visit site
Wear after a period of inactivity suggests a build up of hard deposits in the flutes of the bearing leading to wear when you do run it.