Ramsgate Belgium Holland chart set

CJ1

Visit site
Hi
I would be grateful for recommendations on the best paper and digital (i.e. suitable for iPad) chart set to use for a passage Ramsgate - Ostend - Rotterdam.

I have seen Imray do a South North Sea chart pack which I am thinking of buying,

Thanks

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've used Navionics on an Android tablet and Imray paper charts - worked ok when going to Holland and back a couple of weeks ago. Worked well except returning, in Harwich harbour at 2.30am, although 3 people in cockpit, we didn't see a vessel until it shone its searchlight on to us so we quickly got out of its way and then discovered we hadn't switched on our vhf...

Daydream believer

Visit site
Definitely the Dutch series charts. Very clear. Mine are on the boat but I think that it is the 1800 series folio pack. Nieuport to Den Helder. Then supplement with the Imray one for the Southern N sea to show you the shipping lanes from Ramsgate etc. Buy Dutch charts from the Dutch supplier for latest updates. UK chandleries often have dated versions.

CJ1

Visit site
Definitely the Dutch series charts. Very clear. Mine are on the boat but I think that it is the 1800 series folio pack. Nieuport to Den Helder. Then supplement with the Imray one for the Southern N sea to show you the shipping lanes from Ramsgate etc. Buy Dutch charts from the Dutch supplier for latest updates. UK chandleries often have dated versions.
Thanks - what’s the name of the publisher of the Dutch charts ?

Daydream believer

Visit site
That is the one. The OP will want 1801 set. I would go for the folios not the book set, as the folios lay flat better.
When I ordered 5 sets (for the club cruisers) from them ,they suggested I waited a short while for the latest editions. I explained that we needed by a certain date & they said that they would be in on time, but for me to get them on time, I would have to pay for a special delivery - circa 60 euros. In the event they arrived late to them from the printers & it was so touch & go that they waived the delivery altogether. I was also buying 5 sets of the ANWB Wateralmanak 1 & 2 plus standing mast route guides so it was a big package. It was also a learning curve for them as they apparently had not supplied a private buyer in the UK, since Brexit had been in operation.
They reached me the day before our cruise departed, having ordered 4 weeks beforehand.
In spite of having the charts, our class captain motored straight out of the canal lock from Goes & ran aground, where he remained stuck for 2 hours. Meanwhile the rest of us sailed serenely to Zierikzee. I did remind him ( from time to time) that the charts were supplied for a reason. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest