Raggie Breaks Speed limit...

tcm

Visit site
Quite right too! As someone who lives in London, I fully agree with this action. Our overworked and underpaid police force is continually under pressure and it's well known that the police do not have a high enough profile and have been forced on to the back foot. So it is entirely reasonable that adopt a more proactive role, blam around with blue lights flashing, clamp cars, beat up people or threten themn a lot, install lots of cameras, drive around in nice BMW's or powerboats, and/or arrest sailing boats which might otherwise er cause all sorts of problems, and they know the rules, or they jolly well should do, after all....

G

First message: it's presumably was meant to be its.
Others: Tracy does not sail on the boat; she stays on shore.
And: the report is suspect. There is no speed limit below below Hammersmith Bridge. Vessels are obliged to proceed with normal care. Sounds like a bit of publicity.

jfm

Visit site
Would someone please explain what's going on with this post? It was fine for a while, then started to wobble, and now I find myself wondering what dope Deckmaster is smoking ;-)

Medskipper

Visit site
Thats what I thought, There isnt a speed limit as far as I am aware! You wouldnt think it anyway judging by the way those water buses belt up and down the river! the wall of water they leave behind them is incredible!

Barry

terence

Visit site
if the police spent more time stoping these motor boat chappies from doing 20 knts in the marina it would be time better spent!

lanason

Visit site
Whats wrong with 20 knts in the marina ????

I can do 25-28 up on the plane. Thats even better - creates less wash the faster you go.

Adrian

I got a new Job !!!!!!

BarryH

Visit site
There's a speed limit of 8 knots above wandsworth bridge to teddington lock. Altho I've never seen any boats obseve thr speed limit, not even the PLA boats

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!

ChrisP

Visit site
The 8 knot speed limit starts at Wandsworth. The big giveaway is the 8 knot speed limit sign fixed to the bridge. Time for a new eye test and a copy of the PLA regulations.

What do you mean the sea gull in front's walking !!!

G

Can't see Tracy dropping her mast to get as far upriver as Wandsworth though...

markc

Visit site
Speed limit

This is getting silly, all this talk of speed limits! If you must know, I have also been boarded by Police for speeding on the Thames in the stretch from the Dome to St Kats a few years ago. I can tell you that they wern't at all interested in an 8knt sign on Wandsworth Bridge! (they wouldn't accept a beer either!)

Lets just concentrate on the posibility and joy of a raggie being accused of speeding for a change

M

http://www.geocities.com/jinto100/Jintopics.html

Medskipper

Visit site
Re: Is there a speed limit...?

I dont know of a speed limit on the lower reaches of the Thames? Does anyone know if there is one and if so what is it? I have been asked to slow up a bit approaching the barrier but I assumed that was because they dont really want anyone taking out one their barriers !!!

I was also boarded by police a couple of years ago not far from St. Kats, and they said it was policy these days, they were interested in drugs,illegals or terrorists !

Barry

Visit site
Re: Is there a speed limit...?

Its supposed to be 8 knots above Wandsworth and 10 knots below.
I have been asked to slow down in the pool when doing only 8 knots, i guess its all down to the wash you make.
They are getting a lot more on the ball on this so better to err on the side of caution.
The other bee in their bonnet at the moment is to stick to the starboard side of river like glue else take the public dressing down on channel 14 - this was not me (honest!) but I have witnessed a few others copping it.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

As far as I know there is no speed limit below Wandsworth Bridge but the rozzers will pull you anyway for 'excessive wash'. Also the so called professional skippers on the River will grass up any pleasure boats just for the sake of it - the Woolwich ferry skippers are particularly adept at this.
Basically, now that the RNLI have boats on the River, there's nothing for the River Police to do except fish the occasional body out of the water so in order to keep their cushy jobs for the boys and fleet of new Botnia Targas, they have to find things to do

toobaz

Visit site
Speed Limit and Prosecution

There is a speed limit from Thames Barrier which is 8 knts and or wash.
If you are caught you could be liable to a possible £1,000 fine and they will prosecute for anything from speeding to endangerment. Also, as already stated, the commercial skippers on the Thames will report you for excessive bow-wash..............It's a petty they do not look at their own or the effect it has when one is waiting to get into St Kat's or Lime House.
Go carefully my friends, they watch you all the way up river from Tilbury onways

Barry