Radar

rrees

www.cruisinglogs.org.uk
I have had the oppertunity to accure a RL70 Chart plotter radar second hand.
We will be doing a few night passages but mostly day passages
What is the fog like on the Spanish / French boarder med side
would it be worth investing in radar

Thanks

mainshiptom

Visit site
With this current boat I have a rader and I found once under way in the channel that the best feature of a rader was to find out how far away the big tankers where, so I would say yes once you have a rader you will wander how you have done without it before.

It also spots the bouy very clearly. or any metal objects in the water as well(container or a sub).

Tom

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
One outstanding feature of RADAR is picking up thunderstorms and assessing their track. Both these are useful tricks anywhere and especially relevant in the Med in summer. We have dodged localised bad weather on a number of occasions.

We also found that the erratic movements of fishing boats at night are a nightmare and radar can help when you cant make out the nav lights because of the fishers' decklights.

I can't comment on the relevance of having a charting radar maybe a user will be able to advise you.

charles_reed

Visit site
In answer to your question - fog is very uncommon on Cote Vermielle and Costa Brava.

If, however you consider radar as only an anti-collision device for fog you are seriously underestimating its value.

I'd rate it of more value than anything but a compass.