Quick windlass chain counter options

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I have a quick windlass with their standard plug-in wired controller. The controller has a chain counter display.
As I'm often solo or trying to juggle lines ashore with one semi-mobile crew, I have fitted a wireless remote (eBay 4WD winch controller about £12) which allows me to control the windlass from the cockpit.

I would like to know how much chain is deployed and Quick offer a handy instrument display that does this and incorporates windlass control but it costs €600 (probably more if imported to UK from Italy).

I can do without the windlass control and just want the chain counter. Is anyone aware of any less expensive options for this?

AndrewB

Visit site
My experience of fitting a counter, to a windlass that didn't have one, was not good - it tended to cause foul-ups with the chain and was soon discarded. Now, I simply time the descent to give an approximation to the amount deployed and adjust using the chain marks once settled.

A very cheap solution that doesn't interfere directly with the windless, if its practicable, would be to fit a remote wifi camera or better, an endoscopic camera pointing at the existing display,

Last edited:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I have a quick windlass with their standard plug-in wired controller. The controller has a chain counter display.
As I'm often solo or trying to juggle lines ashore with one semi-mobile crew, I have fitted a wireless remote (eBay 4WD winch controller about £12) which allows me to control the windlass from the cockpit.

I would like to know how much chain is deployed and Quick offer a handy instrument display that does this and incorporates windlass control but it costs €600 (probably more if imported to UK from Italy).

I can do without the windlass control and just want the chain counter. Is anyone aware of any less expensive options for this?

I assume you're talking about this: Handheld Remote Control with Chain Counter only 379,95 € | SVB
Check the price!

FWIW, I have one of these installed and I'm very pleased with it.

PS: SVB do ship to the UK.

capnsensible

Visit site
Top tip. Mark your anchor chain at five and ten metres with a cable tie. Veer the anchor counting one thousand, two thousand, three thousand etc. Stop at five and remember what you counted. Do same until ten metre Mark.

Hey presto! For the cost of two cable ties you have an anchor cable counter.

K.I.S.S

Neeves

Visit site
Top tip. Mark your anchor chain at five and ten metres with a cable tie. Veer the anchor counting one thousand, two thousand, three thousand etc. Stop at five and remember what you counted. Do same until ten metre Mark.

Hey presto! For the cost of two cable ties you have an anchor cable counter.

K.I.S.S
Windlass do deploy at different speeds.

To increase accuracy and really its not that critical whether you deploy at 5:1 or 6:1 scope....

Take your phone, or watch and use a stop watch function. Deploy, say, 20m of chain and measure the time - then simply use that data, time and length, as the base for your future deployments - if you really need it set an alarm. There is sufficient accuracy in counting 1,000, 2,000 etc etc.

Given that the scope will vary with tide etc - don't get too engrossed with too much accuracy. Its stil anl art posing as science.

And a good snubber will cover a host of errors. :)

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
i suspect the OP is backing up to a quay in mediteranean style and knowing how much chain is out while getting shorelines ready is useful if essentially on your own.

Neeves

Visit site
I'm sure this will sound and be accused of being trite.

But if you are backing up then the chain deployed and can be used is a function of where you drop the anchor - as the distance from anchor to quayside then becomes fixed. Knowing when to deploy the anchor surely becomes the critical factor and you can plan that with a decent chart plotter (and well deployed fenders well in advance).

I'm not suggesting it will reduce heartbeat.

Jonathan

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I assume you're talking about this: Handheld Remote Control with Chain Counter only 379,95 € | SVB
Check the price!

FWIW, I have one of these installed and I'm very pleased with it.

PS: SVB do ship to the UK.
Thanks. This is what I started with but it only plugs in at the bow. I was looking at a cockpit display that does the same things from a permanent position and costs almost double.
What I ended up doing was running a new 5 core cable from my powerboard to my steering position so I could have the handheld installed at the cockpit.
Works well as we still use the 4WD wireless remote at the bow.
Now I can see what is being lowered or raised from the cockpit and control it more easily when solo

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Thanks. This is what I started with but it only plugs in at the bow. I was looking at a cockpit display that does the same things from a permanent position and costs almost double.
What I ended up doing was running a new 5 core cable from my powerboard to my steering position so I could have the handheld installed at the cockpit.
Works well as we still use the 4WD wireless remote at the bow.
Now I can see what is being lowered or raised from the cockpit and control it more easily when solo

That's what I did from the outset.
As I sail singlehanded 90% of the time, I wanted to be able to control both the engine and the windlass from the cockpit (and see how much chain I've got down).
I only make my way forward when there's about 2-3 meters left out and then I haul up the last bit using two up/down foot switches at the bow.
And when I've made sure the anchor is secure, I head back to the cockpit and motor away.