QAB Awful Customer Service - Never again

billybiltong

Visit site
I arrived at QAB (Queen Anne Battery) on Friday morning at 0600hrs after completing a Channel crossing from St Peters Port and was looking forward to a good few hrs sleep and hot shower. I wanted a marina berth so as a Jester I felt loyal to QAB. I couldn't get the night watchman on the radio so found a berth and then was moved when I eventually found the night staff. At 1000hrs I went to pay my fees and they wanted to charge me for a short stay £8.50 as well as £25ish for a night stop over, plus Internet use if I wanted it. I felt very ripped off and told them to shove their berthing and would not be returning. The lady on reception said it was like booking into a hotel if you arrive early you have to pay. Nothing like a hotel more like a council car park!! ..... I left and I called Mayflower Marina who met me on the pontoon with a welcome pack and FREE wifi. Very pleasant and helpful staff who didn't CHARGE me for booking in early!! In future I will be staying in "Hotel Mayflower and not berthing my boat in QAB council car park". QAB get you act together you have lost more than a nights berthing for £8.50!!!! :-(

Independence

Visit site
They lost more than one night's berthing last year when we told them 30 Jester Challengers were showing up and only 6 of us did.

Have to say your experience has been somewhat different to mine particularly when they squeezed me in to a full marina on my return last year.

jesterchallenger

Visit site
I have to say that my experience with them has only been good. On arrival there for the JC10, I hadn't slept for 48 hours and they couldn't have been more helpful. Last year I explained that I was a Jester supporter, though not actually taking part, and they still gave me free parking for a couple of days. I was amused that another Jester supporter who was next in the queue was charged the full whack, so maybe it's just the way I approach them. They're not cheap, but no marina is. I have found the same positive and helpful attitude at Mayflower, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of them. Independence makes a good point about letting everyone know in good time that you are not taking part despite having put your name down.

billybiltong

Visit site
Maybe I just went on jobs worth day. As Jesterchallenger says he wasn't charged for parking but the person behind him was? But I am a dissatisfied customer who will not be going back as they didn't make ME feel welcome, so don't warrant my support.

ScallywagII

Visit site
They're not cheap, but no marina is.

You will be pleasantly surprised at the other Jester marina, Praia da Vitoria. Berthing for 6-8 metre craft is €3.50 per night. They don't charge for early arrival or late departure. Water, electricity and Wi-Fi included, although showers are extra. After 21 days sailing, €1.50 for a shower, including soap and a big warm fluffy towel is money well spent. My excuse for not taking part in the Baltimore challenge is that I'm off to the Azores again.

Fair winds, wherever you're headed.

Len