Punt and decent rowing boats wanted

gilesdobson

Visit site
I'm having quite limited success in looking for a couple of punts and some decent rowing boats for sale. Punts seem to be manufactured by very few people at extraordinary prices and decent rowing boats are few and far between. Does anyone know of any available second hand or from a reasonably priced boatbuilder?

Any help much appreciated.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Have you seen the excellent magazine 'Watercraft'?
It is published in Cornwall by Pete Greenfield, who used to be editor (I think) of The Boatman.
They always have lots of adverts, articles and classified ads re all different types of rowing boats.
Their website is http://www.watercraft.co.uk/

Classic Boat is also good, but they tend to focus on larger vessels (usually).

Skents

www.theiguana.co.uk
As a boatbuilder the problem is that creating something like this takes an awful lot of time for a relatively small end product - particular if you want something nice to look at as well as serviceable.

DSCF0006.jpg

I built this one for myself and lots of people really like it but I don't think people would be queueing up to buy them if I added up the materials, labour charged at £15 per hour plus a cut for the designer. Always happy to offer a price though!!

Bajansailor

Visit site
What an exceptionally fine pulling boat you have there - a delight to see, and no doubt a real pleasure to row!
Is she a strip planked Paul Gartside design?

We tried building dinghies here for the local market - but even by building simple chined plywood dinghies we could not compete against cheap inflatables from China, or the injection moulded (?) plastic Walker Bays.
C'est la Vie.

Gavi

Visit site
I am looking for the same. There were some good links given on this post

The bottom line is that it is going to cost almost £2k to get something nice looking, which is what I want. I am now waiting for a month when SWMBO underspends by £2k so I can go shopping. Breath is not being held....