Public apology

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Over the last weekend we took Rhoda Rose to Bradwell on Saturday evening. I would like to go on record that I found all the staff and a few local berth holders helpful and friendly.

To start with I mentioned to the chap on the telephone that my wife was a very nervous sailor and he immediately changed our designated berth to, I assume, an easier one.

As we docked two berth holders appeared out of nowhere and took our lines and yet another lent us a two way adapted plug.

Alright, the weather was lovely but the staff and locals could not have been more accommodating or helpful. The only downside was that I very nearly fell off the pontoon when Inca misjudged a turn and marched me off of the finger pontoon! Still, no harm done thanks to a mate who grabbed me just in time.

Anyway, I have been a bit negative about Bradwell in the past but maybe I had simply been unlucky, I could not fault the place last weekend.

I have emailed them to say thank you.

We motored over to West Mersea for lunch in the clubhouse which was as good as always.

The only real disappointment was a P***t in a planing mobo that overtook us leaving about 20' clearance. The wash rolled us dramatically. We met another mobo coming the other way a bit later off of Stone SC accompanied by two jet skis that, again passed very close although we did have time to turn to face that ones wake. And just to round things off a third mobo doing a ridiculous speed passed us twice off of Marconi causing us to roll severely. With so much empty river to show off in why do they have to pass so close? Still, I know one of the mobos is berthed in the yard next to mine so I may pop over for a chat next weekend :)

Oops, drifted my own thread.

Back to the point, thank you Bradwell, we had a lovely stay.

Steve

UncleAlbert

Visit site
Hi Steve,well the answers you may get are many, but here are 2 for starters.

1. I did not realise that I was generating so much wash.............................. cos I was only looking forward.
2. I get such a better sense of my speed/importance/p***tishness/wealth ( delete or choose as appropriate) .
3 ( just thought of this ) cos I can.......................... so there .

No doubt others may have more

Never had any issue with Bradwell in my few stays there.

Unc

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Ah, I was hoping for something more esoteric and worthy of the astericks. Still, sounds like an interesting trip.

Not quite up to a circumnavigation, but my dear wife is VERY nervous. Even my CW28 she finds scary in anything other than a flat calm, so a cruise up and down the river is a real milestone for her. For that reason I could really have done without the antics of the three antisocial pillocks doing well in excess of 20kts and passing very close to us.

Bradwell and in particular the staff, were great though.

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Hi Steve,well the answers you may get are many, but here are 2 for starters.

1. I did not realise that I was generating so much wash.............................. cos I was only looking forward.
2. I get such a better sense of my speed/importance/p***tishness/wealth ( delete or choose as appropriate) .
3 ( just thought of this ) cos I can.......................... so there .

No doubt others may have more

Never had any issue with Bradwell in my few stays there.

Unc

:)

Visit site
We were at Bradwell on Saturday night as well. Also met the mobo and 3 jet skis just as we left.
If you noticed some looney pontoon bashing on Sunday morning between B and C that was me. Just getting used to the lack of reverse and huge prop walk we get from the folding prop that likes to stay folded in reverse.

Marmalade

Visit site
We encountered a similar crowd last summer - sailing the Tideway 14 in Mayland Creek the mobo was moored to the channel marker. Three or four jetskis were buzzing around it and one jetski took it upon himself to pass between us and a Wayfarer (no more than a 30ft gap between the two dinghies) soaking everyone in the process.

I sailed up to the mobo, whipped out my iphone and started taking pictures. The mobo's operator challenged me - asking what I was doing. I explained bluntly that I was planning to complain, with pictures, to the river bailiff - at which point he became conciliatory and promised to chastise the jetskier concerned.

Have to confess the pics didn't come out that well so I didn't complain to Nigel. Perhaps I should have...

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Hmm, I have video of them passing within feet of Rhoda Rose, do you think there is any point in showing it to Nigel?

Such a pity that people feel the need to behave in this way isn't it. I know all about not tarring all Mobo's with the same brush but a bit of me feels that the flashier the Mobo the worse the helmsman seems to behave.

I have a Go-Pro copy that can function as a dash cam. I think I might set it up in the wheelhouse and just forget about it. All the time the engine is on it films for 30mins or so, then wipes itself and starts again. Then again, perhaps a more philosophical attitude and simply trying to not let them wind us up might be a better approach.