Provisioning for the Ionian

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Perhaps this'd be better on scuttle but as full time liveaboards posting here. Currently in beautiful Sicily, home of terrific and very reasonable wine and access to decently priced food stuff.

I've noticed many of our neighbours stocking up before heading off and many are entering Greek waters. So my question to those in the know is this, what would you definitely stock up on for a 4 month stint cruising the beautiful Ionian Islands?

Thanks and wish everyone a great cruising season :)

Tranona

Visit site
Only with things you specifically like from Sicily. The Ionian is part of the modern world as far as food and wine is concerned, and although choice on the smaller islands may sometimes be limited the larger islands and mainland towns have well stocked supermarkets and an abundance of fresh foods and wine.

Davy_S

Visit site
Ok, lets start with Lidl, in the uk a can of peas is 25p, in the Ionian Lidl a can of peas is a euro, this applies to all othe goods, so it would depend on what you consider to be essential money savers, ie a large tin of coffee etc, wine is good and cheap in the Ionian, fresh fruit is excellent, fresh Chicken is superb, it all depends on how cheap similar goods can be obtained it Italy. Personaly I found Italy expensive for staple foods.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Processed food, which includes tins, jars and frozen, seems to be less popular with Greeks than it is in UK and is hence more expensive. Fresh food, on the other hand, is often cheaper and generally of good quality. We find most meat in Greece to be superb and some supermarkets and butchers will freeze or vacuum pack it for yachts. Vegetables are mostly excellent. These photos taken in the Aegean, not the Ionian, give a clue although it must be said that this is the best example we know.
P9200053_zpsemku2tdd.jpg
P9200052_zpslffems3e.jpg

Davy_S

Visit site
I can totally agree what vyv cox has said, the fresh produce in the Ionian, is second to none, I have just spent a couple of months in the uk, the food back home (Ionian) tasted far better, Chicken tastes like Chicken, not pumped full of water, as for Carrots, sheer delight, not forgetting the kokino krassi hic!

Davy_S

Visit site
Regarding your Red wine comment, it would depend on what you like, talking of inexpensive but drinkable reds, the UK prices in a simple pub grub style eatery, starts at around £10 for a 750ml bottle, this can be purchased for a third of the price in a Supermarket, the Greek house wine costs from 5 euro per KILO, and can be very drinkable! I know which I prefer!

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Replies much appreciated, thanks. We'd certainly not go berserk on stocking up, I get huge enjoyment in cooking with ingredients not familiar to me and the Boss likes the eating :) Coffee beans, tinned tomatoes and tuna plus some wine and odd bits will be on the list. The market photos look great, here's to a new adventure.

Borden

Visit site
Unless I'm seriously mistaken Vyv's photos are of the fruit and veg shop at Lakki on Leros Island close to the Australian butcher.
It's worth mentioning that said butcher will vacuum pack meat you buy if asked. He speaks excellent English (he is Greek by birth but spent years in Austrialia).

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Unless I'm seriously mistaken Vyv's photos are of the fruit and veg shop at Lakki on Leros Island close to the Australian butcher.
It's worth mentioning that said butcher will vacuum pack meat you buy if asked. He speaks excellent English (he is Greek by birth but spent years in Austrialia).

The one you mention used to be called the Atlantic, now a new name but still Atlantic to us, next to the butcher. Their veg is good but my photos are of the shop just off the big square. There is also a good butcher there, on the square, and a fantastic hardware shop opposite, where they sell almost everything. I renewed all my halyard mouse lines there two years ago, 200 metres all measured by hand, with much laughter. What a super island it is!

AndrewB

Visit site
Regarding your Red wine comment, it would depend on what you like, talking of inexpensive but drinkable reds, the UK prices in a simple pub grub style eatery, starts at around £10 for a 750ml bottle, this can be purchased for a third of the price in a Supermarket, the Greek house wine costs from 5 euro per KILO, and can be very drinkable! I know which I prefer!
Wine, definitely, red and white. Cheap Italian wine so much better than cheap Greek wine - one thing we always stock up on our way through. Hardware, e.g. you need a new PC, a new power drill? - a lot cheaper in Italy.