Pro's and Con's please

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Pro\'s and Con\'s please

Looking for somewhere to rent over the winter months (to do a bit of work) and this is in this week's Henley Standard.

HENLEY ISLAND PROPERTY. One bed detached Swiss style chalet. All amenities but access by boat only. Private car park on the mainland and a small boat is provided.

Now I know where this is and apart from the noise from the rower support boats (and not being able to get drunk in town and then go across the water) then please advise all the pro's and con's to help me make my mind up if this is worthwhile going for.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Pro\'s and Con\'s please

If that is on Rod Eyot then it is a VERY pleasant place to be (floods excluded). If you like river activity as I do then you will adore being there because even in the winter there's always something happening.
The only con in my eyes is the fact everything has to be carted over the river and that one day you will have to give the place up.

sarabande

Visit site

Can you get insurance on a floodable property (for the work functions ) ?

rr_123

Visit site

Moored my first two boats there; had a TREMENDOUS amount of fun, the owner was (probably is the same guy) a really good chap, the other islanders were really friendly, and there didn't seem to be any problem with hopping into town on a tender for a few bevvies. Had my 30th birthday party there, managed to get about 150 people and a VW beetle onto the island... real, real good times.

Insurance? you might find house and contents difficult because of the flood risk, but you ought to be able to do something for functions; likely to get ripped off though!

Gavi

Visit site

I love island life. There is a strong feeling of community. You really feel the seasons:

IMAGE_257-1.jpg

The wild life is entertaining:

img031.jpg

And it is just plain lovely.

The island you are looking at has a big pro - the car parking. The con would be the access, but then that would depend on how often you would want to leave your house during the week. I note that a number of river dwellers on the forum use their boats for school runs and shopping, so perhaps it isn't really a big issue?

Hirdsp

Visit site

If it catches fire, the F.B. can't get to you and have to squirt from the other side....as one of the residents will inform you!